Tearing out Workbook pages versus Having them Already torn out!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Starista, May 11, 2006.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

May 11, 2006

Hello!!

I am a first grade teacher and am thinking about the upcoming school year ~

Next year my children will have a phonics workbook, a reading workbook, a handwriting workbook and a math workbook. While I am not the biggest fan of "worksheets" or "seatwork," I do like to use worksheets if they are meaningful.

Is there a REASON that the children should be responsible for tearing out the workbook pages themselves? (ie: "Ok class (I will have 28 students) please tear out page 157 from your workbook). Tearing out their own workbook pages creates some problems for me.
    1. It takes some children awhile to get the correct workbook out.
    2. It takes awhile to find the right page.
    3. We rip the page accidentally and then need tape.
    4. We accidentally turn to page 175 instead of 157.

BUT... is it a motor skill/responsibility thing?? Do the children NEED to pull out their own workbook pages?

I am sorry for the length of this post, but I would really appreciate any feedback and suggestions. Thank you so much! :)

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 11, 2006

I don't like the kids to pull out the pages anyway. They always seem to be missing the page I want them to do because it's on the back of something to be graded or whatever. I leave them in the workbooks so they don't get lost. Midway through, and at the end of, a unit, I have them make all their corrections.

4. k.contreras

k.contreras Companion

May 11, 2006

I teach 2nd grade and my kids tear out their own pages from the workbook every Friday so I can grade them on the weekend, and then they staple them together on their own. At first I didn't like them tearing it out because they would tear and it would take some students awhile, but it got better. Sometimes I still tear out their pages if I think we may be running short on time because it takes them awhile to get back on task. Its really up to you; I only have 1 workbook, you have more.

5. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

May 11, 2006

When I taught first grade and had to use workbooks, we left the pages in the book. They took their workbooks home when we were done with them.

6. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

May 11, 2006

I seem to change how I do it every year so I guess on how I feel that particular year. Last year I left them in the books and at the end of each week I would call them up to my desk and rip them out, staple them together then send them home. This year I had a parent rip the entire workbook (math and reading workbooks) and separate them. This worked out great. I haven't decided how I want to do them next year.

7. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

May 11, 2006

Keep the page in the book....things get lost and torn....and it does waste quite a bit of time....I only have them rip out if I really need it for something, (portfolio, or sometimes I use a worksheet as brainstorming for a story) and I try to rip out after they finish the work....

8. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

May 12, 2006

When I taught 1st - we used the books, and when they were finished they took them home.

Kel :)

9. lindalou

lindalou Rookie

May 12, 2006

I'm the biggest opponent in our district to worksheets, so I can't use them much. (You have to be careful what you say -- sometimes people listen!) But, I notice the teacher down the hall who uses a lot of worksheets tears them out but she leaves the workbooks stacked open. That way when she needs to tear out the next batch she does't have to search for the page and it goes much faster.

10. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

May 12, 2006

I think the main reason I tear out the pages it that they can be sent home as soon as they are checked. I can't see waiting to send the entire book home when it is finished. I think parents needs to see what their child is working on as it happens, not several weeks or months down the line.

11. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 12, 2006

Okay. For the past two years I have had my dad use the ban saw on the spine of those workbooks. It takes a few minutes to do. Then I (my mom has helped) sort them out into like pages (all the 1's together, then 2's, then 3's and so on). I put them in file folders with the page number on them and put them in my filing cabinet. We've jumped around so much in the books, that it was easier for me to pull out the folder we needed.
    This year I let them keep their Phonics book in their desk and pull out the pages when we needed them. I had students (usually the same ones) that kept missing pages. That means they tore them out some other time.
    Sorting the books out takes a little time, but it's worth it throughout the year.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 13, 2006

Why can't the parents look at the kids' workbooks with the pages in them?

13. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

May 13, 2006

The parents can see the workbooks with the pages still in them but they will not see the workbooks until they are sent home when the workbook is finished. As a parent I don't want to see what my child did several months ago, I want to keep on top of things and see what he is doing on a weekly or daily basis. Seeing what he did several months ago won't help me to help him at home.

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 13, 2006

But if the student takes the workbook home to do the homework, won't the parent see it that day (if he wants to)?

15. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

May 13, 2006

I never send them workbook pages home for homework. We always do them in class. I would leave them in the book and send the book home once a week for the parents to see but I know that I would not get them all back on time or some not at all. Actually I wish I didn't have to do any workbook pages at all but I do. I really pick and choose which ones I use because so many are just busy work.

16. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 13, 2006

I didn't use the Phonics book this year as much as I did last year. The Math book had some really good activities to pull out and use manipulative with. Next year we are going with Harcourt. I'm very excited. It follows our state frameworks and has things for the students to pull out and take home. Parents can actually sit down with the kids and play the games that they bring home. Each child will get a manipulative kit as well (to keep in the classroom). That means no scrambling to make sure we have enough counters, or unifix cubes. It will all be there.