Teammate issues!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by eeyore330, Nov 2, 2015.

1. eeyore330

eeyore330 Rookie

Nov 2, 2015

I am a new teacher this year and I love everyone at my school! My teammate and I are pretty opposite, oldest teacher in the school and me, youngest teacher in the school. Our ideas are very different and I am trying to just keep myself afloat. We were doing okay, but now we are having problems with planning together and staying aligned, with new ideas. I am trying to work with her and now push too many of my ideas without listening to her, but she is not doing her part to try to work with me.

The situation just escalated because of Halloween but I worked with the 4th grade teachers on our costumes and I guess I didn't think to include her in the plans. I didn't do any of this on purpose, it really never crossed my mind because it seemed like she didn't want to participate anyways. I didn't work with them to spite her or anything like that, I was just included wiht them. I realized this because she commented on another teachers post about how nice it was that their team worked together. Now today, she basically ignored me all day. I have tried to work with her on our plans but I also feel,like sheis not putting in her share of the work, just choosing to use the same materials she has for years. I am choosing not t do that because I new need to teach using the new methods, which she should as well but...

I would go talk to my mentor, our resource teacher, but she and this teacher are very close and I think she will be on her side more. I am not sure what to do, andhow to handle the situation. I cannot go through the rest of the year like this, obviously.

How should I bring this up? Do you think it will ride out? I can talk with my principal if necessary, because she is awesome!! But I want to try to work it out first with everyone.

Please help!!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2015

Is the expectation that the two of you do the same thing at the same time? I don't see a problem with you using new ideas...plan with her but know you each have your own style. She may be using 'older materials' because she's had success with them, or she's comfortable with them, or she's resistant to change. It's not your job to change her. You admit to not listening to her. Do you think there's nothing that you can learn from her experience?

DressageLady likes this.
  4. eeyore330

eeyore330 Rookie

Nov 2, 2015

We are expected to do the same things. I have been open to her ideas, but I am more specifically refering to science and social studies. We need to use the new ngss standards for science and not read from the book, but when we have sat down with your tech coach/curriculum leader to plan out what we want to do, she doesnt seem to be contributing. I have looked for things to do and given them to her to use but I also don't want it to seem like i think I know more because I do know that I do not.

5. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Nov 3, 2015

No offense, but SO many new teachers look down on the teaching methods of older ones. There are so many fads in education, and then there are also tried and true methods. Step back and consider that she has seen all these new methods come and go for many years, many failing miserably. Give her the benefit of experience.

Stop pushing your ideas on her, which is probably why she shuts down. Be a TEAM. Stop looking at yourself as superior just because you know the "latest and greatest" teaching methods.

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Nov 3, 2015

You're going to have to compromise. There is value in reading from the science and social studies texts. It is a great way to incorporate literacy skills. It's not a technique I use daily, but I do try to get some in weekly. The ngss standards are fairly new--my district hasn't adopted them yet. She may be trying to use the resources she has because it's harder to find resources for such new standards.

I think if you will go to your next planning meeting, truly listen to her ideas, and try some of them, it will go a long way towards building the team.

7. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Nov 3, 2015

In my experience, as a human, not just a teacher, I've learned that when I seem to be contributing more to a conversation it is generally because I am dominating a conversation. When I sit back and shut up, I get to hear others' voices.

If this has been a problem for a while, you might have to work at getting your coworker to open up. Just be patient.

8. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Nov 3, 2015

Not if your district and instructional coach has told you not to do it which seems to be the case here.

If a veteran teacher can't find excitement in working with a new one they are the problem, not the reverse. I love when we get new teachers in our department. They bring in an energy that those of us who have done this for awhile tend to lose over time.

As far as advice, simply consider why you do the lessons and activities that you do. If you are doing them because they meet the standards you are expected to teach and they reach your students then you are doing it correctly. If your colleague won't come on board then talk to your admin and ask them if they'd prefer you stick to the standards or stick to the team. Take the pressure off yourself.

9. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Nov 8, 2015

It's a shame you are expected to do the same things. Me and my grade level partners all teacher vEry differently and as such our classes and lessons are as different as chalk and cheese. I have had commendations on my teaching this year and multiple letters of praise from student teachers, a board member and a resource teacher placed in my file and she does equally well in her room but I think that this wouldn't be the case if we didn't have the freedom to commit fully to our own styles.

I would see about getting more freedom if possible to commit to your own teaching style, but at some schools they just like teachers teaching in lock step. maybe you just have to keep trying to compromise and wait and see if the hostility lessens. You don't have to be besties to have a working relationship. She may just need more time to adjust to your style since it's so different and making big changes can be scary when you haven't seen it be successful before and you know that you will be held responsible if it fails.

10. Mr. Nobody

Mr. Nobody Rookie

Nov 8, 2015

I feel you should have a conversation with her (preferably away from school, but in school is fine if you can talk one on one) to clear the air. I have been in a similar situation to both of you, which is to say I have been excluded from activities, and I have been the one (unintentionally) doing the excluding. I've also been the newest (in age and seniority) teacher on the block and the oldest (in age and seniority) on my team.

It's awkward and hard and scary to have to be the one that initiates wanting to talk. However, it would be worth it if you all would be able to come to an understanding and work well together.

One year, I was completely out of sync with my grade level team. They excluded me socially and professionally all the time because they had more in common with each other than me. It hurt my feelings and made me not want to come to work. But I would never admit that, so instead I hardened my heart and tried to pretend I was fine. Looking back, I obviously wasn't because I would be snarky and mean and had this huge chip on my shoulder.

Then, the teammate I liked the least, reached out wanting to talk with me one on one about a project. Things felt different without a lot of other people around, so I put out a feeler. She put out one too, and we ended up having an open, very honest and frank conversation.

It turned out there were misunderstandings and hurt feelings on both sides. After we talked, we didn't immediately start working in perfect sync. However, things got A LOT better and the teammate I thought I could never get along with or relate well to ended up becoming my (professional) rock.

Talk to your teammate.

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 8, 2015

If you feel guilty about not including her in the Halloween plans, you should just straight up apologize to her. It's better than feeling guilty and believing that she's holding a quiet grudge the entire time.

I was very glad when the only other 8th grade science teacher in our school told me to just teach my way, and he'll teach his way. We both do a great job, just in different ways.

If it's not the case that you can do your own thing, realize that the older teacher has a compendium of things she's done for a while that she knows works, and if you want to do new things, it's up to you to design them, create the materials, and vet them to her as possible lessons that you could do instead of the older ones. If she feels they're well designed, she'll get on board, but she's unlikely to throw out her older materials and completely replan, even if the NGSS is required, unless the admin explicitly tells her to.

If admin doesn't demand it, then forget it. Either defer to her experience and position, or do things your own way and ask for forgiveness later (you'd be surprised how often this is a viable strategy in teaching).

I get that you feel slighted because you're doing all the work gearing your lessons towards NGSS, and that the other teacher is just using her old stuff instead of helping you, but understand that she DID her share of the work designing all of those older lessons in the first place. If you want to get to a good place with her and stay true to the new standards, go through her materials with her that she's already made and just tweak them to meet NGSS standards.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015