Team Teaching???

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by laf-a-lot, May 13, 2009.

1. laf-a-lot

laf-a-lot Rookie

May 13, 2009

A fellow teacher and I have been talking about ideas for next year. We have thought about team teaching and one of us teach reading and phonics while the other teaches math and science. We have seen it done in the upper grades, but has anyone done this in first? Does it work? Does any one have any ideas that would make this work for our first graders? Thanks!

3. MissR

MissR Comrade

May 19, 2009

We aren't allowed to do this because we are an IB school. I personally would get sooooo burnt out teaching reading and phonics all day every day... that teacher is getting the short end of the stick in my opinion. I suppose you could make it work as long as the behavior expectations were consistent and the kids equally respected both of you.

4. KinderBelle

KinderBelle Rookie

May 19, 2009

I'd be interested to know how this works. Our district is moving towards this as a requirement for all grades starting 2011/2012....

5. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

May 20, 2009

The school where I did my ST did something like this. The only advice I would give is to spend at least a couple of weeks on just procedures and behavior expectations before the actual teaching begins. Otherwise you will spend all your time redirecting behaviors.