Team Teaching?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Kris8806, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Kris8806

Kris8806 Companion

Jun 30, 2006

Hey everyone! I'm new to this website and the teaching profession in general.

I'm a career-changer and temporarily certified. This week I got a job teaching 2nd grade for a teacher that will be on maternity leave until October.

I found out today that they do team-teaching there. I was told that they would help me with my lesson plans because everyone uses the same ones.

Can anyone shed some light on me about team-teaching? Does that mean that I'll be co-teaching with other teachers? Will I still have a classroom or is everyone together?

I'm soooooo confused and since will be the first time I teach and I don't have an Education background, I'm panicking!

Any advice or information anyone can provide would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks!
    Kristina

3. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jun 30, 2006

I team-teach in an inclusion classroom. I am the inclusion teacher and teach along with the regular education teacher. We work together to teach all of the children. We each interject at different times during a teaching lesson. Sometimes, one teacher teaches and the other writes on the board and visa-versa. The children really benefit from two different teaching styles. I am more of a visual learner and the other teacher is more of an auditory learner. So we really complement each other. I write everything down and color-code on the board and she emphasizes certain concepts and ideas. I love team-teaching. Like I said the children really benefit from both of us. Hope this helps... You can PM me if you have a specific questions. Good luck.

Jenglish97

4. teach12

teach12 Companion

Jun 30, 2006

Team teaching can go alot of different ways. You may be in classroom with another teacher all day teaching together, or it may be a situation where someone is pulling out, or in and out throughout the day. I team taught last year in second grade. It worked wonderfully for us. We were together with all of the students all day long. We did all of our planning together. I would teach to my strengths and it was the same for the other teacher. It also helped me feel more confident in teaching in some of my less confident areas. It was also great in the even that one of us was out and there was a substitute. The students still had the consistency that is so important. Like the above post commented on, it can be really beneficial for the students to have the different teaching styles because of their different learning styles. Luckily the person and I got along wonderfully, but I know it doesn't work that way for everyone. I think it is a very positive thing, and I am going to miss not doing it this year. It will just all depend on the way the team teaching is, and how you and the other teacher can work together. I think you may benefit from this quite a bit as well if this is the first time you will be teaching. It will be a great way to see another teacher in action and steal lots of great ideas for the future!

5. Kris8806

Kris8806 Companion

Jun 30, 2006

Thank you guys for all information.

I don't know why I'm so worried about the idea of team teaching. I think it's partially because I'm scared that I'm going to mess up and if I'm team-teaching then the other teachers will see that I messed up. It's also that I was getting all excited thinking of all the things I wanted to do in my classroom (decorating, projects, pen pals, etc.) and I feel like I'm not going to be able to do those things now.

It is comforting though to hear that with another teacher would could play to each other's strength and I would greatly benefit from a veteran teacher working along side me.

Thanks again for all your help!

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 30, 2006

In my district team teaching means something entirely different: teachers share a group of students, but each teacher teaches a different subject or two.