Team Teaching Logistics

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by etcetera83, Jul 28, 2010.

1. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 28, 2010

Greetings! A fellow teacher and myself will be team teaching for the upcoming year. She will do math and science; I will do all ELA and social studies. Can you guys shed some light on some of the logistics, please? For instance, should we have 1 syllabus or 2, do the discipline plans need to be the same or just similar. What are some of the best ways to transition the kids? We will be using binders and appropriate "bell work/morning work." Thanks in advance!

3. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2010

Is this an inclusion setting? One group of kids and you will both be in the same room or will you be in seperate rooms and split the kids? Or are you in the same room at the same time, so when she is teaching you are offering support, small group, etc.

4. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 29, 2010

Separate rooms: she teaches hers math and science, while I teach mine ELA and Social studies. Then we swap kids.

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2010

I think it would be okay to have two syllabi in this case. I am in an inclusion setting this year, so we will only have 1 parent info book rather than two.

As for the logistics, I'd think it would be a lot like having your own rooms but sharing kids. You may want to plan together to see if anything in your units can carry over into her units and vice versa.

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2010

Also, you should really talk with the other teacher to see what types of ideas she has. I can't wait for my co-teacher to get back from her honeymoon so we can get into the planning!

7. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2010

This is more departmentalizing than teaming. I only mention it because you want to be careful with the wording when parents are concerned since they are different models. I would try to be very much in sync in terms of behavior management, classroom routines, expectations, etc. I think you could each have your own syllabus, but keep everything else the same.

8. peridotylayne

peridotylayne Companion

Jul 30, 2010

I do departmentalizing as well. I teach math, science, and social studies; my partner teaches reading, language arts, and fine arts. We don't have syllabuses, so I don't know about that (although I would suggest each of you having your own). We keep everything the same as far as discipline goes.

To transition the kids, we have them pack up and line up outside the opposite classroom with their things and once everyone is in line, they walk in. While it may not be the "best" way.. it works for us. (This is also how our entire school transitions as well.)