Team Teaching in Kindergarten

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by lw3teach, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Heather Hart

Heather Hart Rookie

Feb 3, 2007

Well, after all that learning and worrying we are two students short of forming a new class and so I don't need to team teach yet. I say yet cause as soon as we have some more kids the plan is back on. But I'm far more ready now. And your're right, they have to be heads that work together. I'll keep you posted as numbers happen. Once agaoin, thanks!!!

2. swimmy

swimmy Rookie

Mar 16, 2008

Hi all. I will be team teaching next year. We will be in one large classroom with 35-40 students. I'm in MO also, I would really like to connect with someone in my area that does this so we could schedule an observation before the end of this year.
    :help:

3. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 17, 2008

I think it sounds great and would love to do this! My school is open concept and they originally had several classes going on at once with no walls. We now have partial walls, but some teachers have shared center areas and used a modified team teaching approach. I do want to recommend the K-Crew website: http://www.thekcrew.net/, their centers ideas sound similar to yours and I think you would find their ideas appropriate for team teaching. I am looking forward to hearing how it goes next year!

4. lw3teach

lw3teach Companion

Mar 17, 2008

Well, it's been a year and a half of teaming and I can say that I would never turn back.
    One of the biggest benefits that I have found is that with another teacher in the room, it is very easy to model feelings, manners, and all sorts of "life lessons" because you have somebody to bounce off of.
    The kids are constantly seeing us interact in front of them and learn from these interactions.
    The thing about teaming is that you absolutely have to be with the right partner. If not, you might not be able to have the right "give and take" to make it through.
    We are fortunate enough to be able to incorporate project based learning in our room and have done some amazing things. We have only studied three major units so far: space shuttle, Honduras, and the Farm (not your traditional units!!.. all units come from the kids interests)
    This year we have built our own 10 ft. space shuttle out of chicken wire, boxes, styrofoam and paper mache. In the process we learned about the shuttle, watched it launch and land on our ActivBoard, and turned our room into a space station.
    We are now on a farm unit and actually had a barn raising where half of the kids built the barn (2 by4's , long paper slats, and a grain elevator that actually works!) The other half of the class made the lunches for everyone.
    Through project based learning and teaming together, we don't think that this would have ever been possible.
    I highly recommend that anyone considering teaming should watch this short video from the George Lucas Foundation. It literally changed my way of thinking and teaching: http://www.edutopia.org/beginning-journey-five-year-olds-drive-their-own-pbl-projects

There is not much else to say except that when you team, you really have to give up some of your power. It is literally like a marriage. Some things you might not agree with, but in the long run the advantages certainly outweigh the negatives.
    It is nice to have two heads to collaborate on a child than one!

5. swimmy

swimmy Rookie

Mar 19, 2008

Thank you for your help. Loved the site Tasha. If you have any other Team Teaching sites, please share.

6. henkteach

henkteach New Member

May 4, 2011

I see that this post is older... are you still teaming? How is it going? I am looking at doing this next year with the other K teacher.