Team teaching-advice?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MrsNickle, Nov 4, 2007.

1. MrsNickle

MrsNickle Companion

Nov 4, 2007

A fellow 1st grade teacher and I are about to start team teaching together. We will begin right after Thanksgiving, I will teach reading, writing, spelling, etc. She will teach math, science, and social studies.

Any advice or things to think about from those of you who team teach?

3. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 4, 2007

Good luck. My first year I team taught first grade. My partner did not want to team teach, but since she was failing her entry year she did not have a choice. It was awful. She felt that I was taking over her room. She hated me being there, but it was the only way the school would let her keep her job. (She did end up failing her entry year, and then she failed the next. She never got her teaching license.) I then team taught with a different teacher. She had experience and was wonderful. The difference was that the 2nd teacher had a choice. We would worked together to teach reading. We divided the children into groups and did small groups. It was wonderful. We also took turns planning math. Each week one of us would plan all the activities for reading, the other would do math. We included phonics, writing, and spelling in the small groups in reading.

4. MrsNickle

MrsNickle Companion

Nov 4, 2007

Well thankfully this was a joint decision, and both of us have our own rooms. The students will switch rooms at noon each day. Glad that you ended up with a positive experience with it!