Team Planning Struggles

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mjw82704, Oct 6, 2013.

1. mjw82704

mjw82704 New Member

Oct 6, 2013

Hi Everyone,

I am so happy to be here. I am excited to learn from other teachers and also share my knowledge. This is my 8th year teaching and I love working with my first graders. They are fabulous students. Teaching students how to read is a joy for me.

I however have a problem. I switched schools in my district because there was a lot of negativity, bullying, and I just plain needed a new perspective/start. I like the idea of not staying in the same mindset.

Now, however, I am faced with a team (there are 3 of us) that I am trying so hard to understand. I came from a team that discussed teaching themes and ideas verses programs like Houghton Mifflin and Words Their Way.
    My new team originally wanted us to all plan and do the same thing????? Well I don't understand this. My philosophy is that I don't see how this is good for students. We all have unique classes along with strengths and weaknesses as teachers.

Anyway, I'm new I don't want to buck the system and be labeled hard to work with. I have mentioned to my teammates that we should be adding the standards to to our plans and we have done this because I look them up. Also, one teacher wantsto break up the planning. I don't consider this team planning and it seems like we just complain about each others individual plans so????

What would you do if you were me???? I don't want to lose my team by being difficult because the stress of a team that can't get along can be bad for students too. I saw that at my previous school.

O yeah one of my teammates only tells me what she dislikes about our other teammates planning but when she is around her she says nothing and I feel like shes putting me in the hot seat when I ask us to focus on the common core standards.

3. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Oct 6, 2013

mjw~ I think that I would go along with the teacher who wants to break up the planning and do my own thing. It's hard to plan when the group isn't really planning. I definitely understand your pain. My partner has no idea of planning together means; therefore, we each do our own thing.

4. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 6, 2013

My team plans together weekly. We plan the standards first, then go back and plan activities, assessments, and actual lessons. We all agree to stick to the standards and assessments, but how we actually approach it is entirely up to us. We're not expecting each other to stick to the map, but we're all pretty close, within a day or two. We plan our week on Google docs. We all have it up on our laptops and we can all edit at the same time. It's wonderful. We truly fit together as a...dare I say...Dream Team.

I agree splitting plans is not team planning. In my opinion, that's just harder because you are deciphering someone else's plans and making yours easy enough to follow. When your team plans, are they expecting everyone to teach the exact same thing on the same day?

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 6, 2013

My and my teammates plan together, but what we basically do is sit down, plan what standards we're going to teach when, we each toss out suggestions what we're thinking, and then we decide what will work best with our kids. So we always do the same standards and same objectives, but our lessons might look radically different. Basically we do the same think as Pisces_Fish. Except using Microsoft OneNote instead of Google docs.

6. mjw82704

mjw82704 New Member

Oct 6, 2013

Thank you for your replys

In answer to one posters question. My team originally wanted to plan separate subjects then use each others plans which I (we) found it confusing. I feel like different ideas where being relayed when I spoke with different teammates but when we all meet that went out the door, and I just spoke with them on a 3 way call and boy I wish I had not. It should have been in person. I told them if they wanted us to do the planning together then it really needed to be together, because I was receiving too many mixed messages. The conversation went well until one of my teammates, I felt attacked me personally about how I handled a situation. So I protected myself and pointed out I felt she did the same thing. Of course she did not feel that she did anything wrong. Now its negative. However, we are now meeting for planning I hope it will get better. I am feeling sick. I just want us to get along and not attack each other. I think our meeting to plan will get us going but now I am definitely not feeling liked or wanted on this team. Yuck.

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 6, 2013

IMO you are right, you are right, you are right. What to do? Not an easy situation. I'd try to be as kind as can be while still sticking to your guns of what is best for the students. Give in where it doesn't compromise the quality of your lessons.

8. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Oct 6, 2013

My team is pretty good. We plan to teach units at the same time so we can coordinate speakers and other resources. Our day-to-day lessons are planned individually. I have no idea what Mrs. S. is doing on any one day, but I know what objectives she's approaching. It works out great for us.

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 10, 2013

Ok. Here's my advice. I have a teammate that really wants all three of us to do the same thing. While we don't plan together, she still has this thought that we should do the same projects, ect. So she gave us this writing project, and while I didn't use it in class, I gave it as extra credit. So you can sit and 'plan' with your team, then take the ideas back to your room and modify. Ultimately, you are accountable for your students' success. Do what you think they need. But don't make a big deal out of it. Just be agreeable, humor your teammates, listen passively to vents while staying neutral and kick butt in your room. That's worked for me so far. :) (still working on the kicking butt thing, though...)