Team Motivation

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Jan 24, 2011.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jan 24, 2011

Any advice on how to get teammates to contribute more? I feel like I'm always doing most of the contributing on our team. Program committees, sharing lesson ideas, etc. We have a Family Science Night coming up and I can't get anyone to stay-which means I'll have to---again. :rolleyes:

And I know there are people who believe that you should be able to leave at 3:30 and spend time with your family, etc. But nights like this come up; we have to represent our grade level. We have 7 people on our team-one who is a brand-new teacher and swore up and down when we interviewed her she'd contribute. I wish we could use lie detectors in interviews! ;)

Anyone deal with this and have any suggestions?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2011

Could you assign each person a part of the program?

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2011

Maybe in the beginning of the year, write out the different nights that the school usually has and then each teacher needs to choose one.

You could write out 7 parts (planning, setting up, showing up that night, etc). Then each person needs to take a part.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2011

Maybe have a class contest....the most participation wins something....

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jan 25, 2011

Thanks! Yeah, we did that in the beginning, everyone chose an event to help organize for our grade level. Every time an event comes up however, they are now unavailable.

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 25, 2011

There are a few events during the year at which we are expected to be. If we are not, our principle puts a note in our file. If it becomes a habit, we are strongly encouraged to find other places to work that don't require as much time and effort. I always end up being the person at everything. I understand how you feel. I'm just lucky that I have an administration that supports making sure everyone does his or her part.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 25, 2011

Besides an administrative role....there might not be anything else you can do.

9. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2011

well, at least if they won't come, will they do some of the pre-work...gathering materials, coming up with ideas, etc? I agree that this stinks for you. And also for their kids...it's the highlight of such events to see your teacher at night, or out of school (if it's a restaurant night or something like that...).

I might go to the principal, or a mentor teacher within the building, and not tattle, but say, "I need ways to motivate them to come to this stuff. What should I do?" That way, you're looking for help, and you look like you're taking responsibility...not trying to rat out your team.

10. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jan 25, 2011

Maybe institute a rule that says if you have committed to an event and then back out, you have to find someone to take your place.

Not showing up would never fly at my school. We all attend everything.

11. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jan 26, 2011

Same... any night that our grade level hosts, we are all expected to be there. Our P has never said that we are required to be there, and no one has ever put up a fight about being there.