Team Meetings That Work Well Should....?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by CherryOak, Jul 17, 2021.

1. CherryOak

CherryOak Comrade

Jul 17, 2021

I've been on teams that tried to plan everything together and met too much and ended up at odds. I've been on a team that planned so little together it was practically not a team. Obviously, the ideal is in between.

What are some good things for a grade level team to aim for? What's genuinely helpful for you? How do we find balance?

3. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 22, 2021 at 1:59 PM

Personally, I like having a common end goal, such as an assessment or final project, and then the freedom to plan how I’d like to in order to get there. I also appreciate shared ideas and resources when someone makes or finds something helpful, without the requirement to use it.

CherryOak likes this.
  4. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jul 22, 2021 at 5:52 PM

Meetings should be short, sweet, and to the point. And if you can send it in an email, even better. I dislike meetings to start with. I dislike meetings that could have been an email even more.

otterpop, geoteacher and CherryOak like this.
  5. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 23, 2021 at 1:14 PM

Me too. But I get it sometimes too. A lot of people say this, but I truly read every email, and so often my previous colleagues didn’t. Admin then felt like they needed to have a meeting about whatever content (such a standardized testing schedule) was important for people to know. People would grumble that there was a meeting about it. But then there would be a similar schedule or policy change type thing sent via email instead of talked about in a meeting, and no one would read it and then teachers (the same ones who complained about stupid meetings) would say “no one even told us and now we’re getting in trouble for not doing it.” It was lose-lose for admin.

And I know the original post was about grade level meetings, not staff meetings, but as a former grade level lead I can say it’s true on a grade level basis as well.

Aces likes this.
  6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 23, 2021 at 1:54 PM

I think there needs to be a strict agenda for a meeting so that it doesn't take too much time and you actually talk about what's necessary. This week we're talking about Math, Science, etc. Next week we're talking about XYZ. I found meetings where people sat around talking about whatever they wanted ended up taking too long and then another meeting was needed to finish the discussions.

Aces likes this.
  7. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jul 23, 2021 at 1:57 PM

Our crew pretty much knows of I can send it in an email, I’m going to. Usually I force add it to their calendars in outlook, which most are pretty good about checking. I just don’t see the point in holding people up in the afternoons for a meeting that could be sent in an email. Afternoons are literally the only time we can’t do staff meetings of any sort so we try to make sure they’re absolutely necessary.