Team Halloween Costumes

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Mrs.DLC, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Oct 1, 2009

4 members of my team want to dress up in some sort of theme. Preferably, cheap and fairly easy! Does anyone have any clever ideas?? (one grade level is going as Disney Princesses, but spent a lot of $$$ for the costumes!!)Thanks!

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 1, 2009

a group at my job last year dressed as a deck of cards. They bought costumes but you could easily make them by getting big white tees and wearing them over black leggings or pants and making the cards with felt cutout or fabric paint. They even had one of them dress as the joker. It was cute and could be easy and cheap

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 1, 2009

Last year we paired up. We had famous "evil" women and their counterparts. For instance, I was the Wicked Witch of the West. A teammate was Dorothy.

Everytime she'd see me she would scream and I'd chase her back into her classroom. The kids thought we were crazy.

6. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Oct 2, 2009

Thanks for the ideas! I'll share with my team. :)

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 2, 2009

- 7 Dwarves (from Snow White)

- Team of (basketball, baseball, etc.) players

- Have fun being a different profession for a change & be a team of doctors, nurses, etc.

8. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Oct 2, 2009

One year, when we still dressed for Halloween, all four Kindergarten teachers dressed as witches(wore basic black, witches hats, brooms, etc). It was easy and looked funny--like a witch convention and the children loved it.

9. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 2, 2009

A box of crayons

10. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 2, 2009

A bag of M & M's

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2009

I'm definitely the right shape for this one! :lol:

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 2, 2009

I like this! Or a bunch of pencils.

Or different school supplies: Ruler, pencil, marker, crayon, eraser, paintbrush, etc.

13. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Oct 2, 2009

I had always dressed as a team with just my parapro. We were snow white and the old lady, we were ketchup and mustard, and then last year I was an Ohio State "fan" and she was my plug! No idea what we are doing this year. We had talked one time about the kindergarten team being abc flashcards. Each person would get a letter and then decorate their shirt with items that started with that letter.

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 2, 2009

A group of teachers dressed as the Wizard of Oz. One Dorothy, the Tin Man, Scarecrow & Lion.

My cousin at work dressed up as member of Kiss.

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 2, 2009

Two peas in a pod
    Three blind mice
    The Supremes
    Any one of the days from the 12 days of Christmas

16. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Oct 2, 2009

More great ideas-I actually thought of the Wizard of Oz. I'll let the others decide....I need to write down these ideas! I am glad that we are still allowed to dress! At one school where I used to teach, we had Fall Festival...no Halloween!!

17. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 2, 2009

Mary Poppins characters? My friends did this and it was great!

[​IMG]

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2009

Book characters:
    Paper Bag Princess
    Nate the Great
    Fancy Nancy
    Cat in the Hat

19. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Oct 2, 2009

Dr. Suess Characters
    Mother Goose Characters
    Chicka-Chicka Boom-Boom! Letters (Easy. lol.)

20. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Oct 3, 2009

The Men in Black! You could get suits from Goodwill and a pair of black sunglasses and you're set! Maybe a plush alien or two in the room.

21. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Oct 3, 2009

lol...all these are cute ideas

22. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 3, 2009

Wow! I'm almost inspired to dress up this year!

We did the cards with cardboard one year - we took 2 big peices of cardboard tied it together at the top like a sandwich board and painted them white then the designs of the cards (we had just black clothes underneath and could take the boards off to teach during the day).

Maybe dress like rock stars, famous 1st ladies, foods that go together, 4 characters from a story like Goldilocks--maybe something funny like teachers without summer vacation ( dress kind of crazy-teased hair, etc.). I'm not very creative when it comes to this kind of thing but some people had very cute ideas! :thumb:

23. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Oct 3, 2009

PacMan or Ms. PacMan and the ghosts. :)

24. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Oct 3, 2009

Farmer and Farm Animals
    Goldilocks and Bears
    Dr. Seuss Characters

25. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Oct 3, 2009

I shall be in Portugal for halloween....could never quite see the point of telling kids to be cautious of strangers...then sending them out on a dark night to knock on stranger's doors !!!! Shocking really.

26. misteacher

misteacher Companion

Oct 3, 2009

We had a team of 4 teachers dress up as Scooby Doo's friends and they carried around a stuffed Scooby. It was very cute!

27. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 3, 2009

Right! If it were up to me, trick-or-treating would only be done at public places, like how you see them at the shopping malls these days because unfortunately, the world isn't a safe place.

If I had kids, they wouldn't need to beg for candy that came from God knows who. I'll buy them candy.

I realize this is one of those things that parents want to do w/ their kids to give them fun childhood memories & all that, but there's a LOT of things we can't do anymore due to how the world is & it's a shame, but the reality.

28. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Oct 3, 2009

Halloween...it's overated !:|

29. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 3, 2009

The best costume I have seen is a cockroach (like the bug) and an exterminator. It helped that the dad was an exterminator.

In my area, we have very few trick or treaters. I do live in a nice neighborhood that is prime for trick or treating. I don't give out candy, I always find a small toy to pass out. I really don't want my kids to have that much sugar, and suspect other parents do not either.

30. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 3, 2009

Oh - a great one that showed up at our church (yes, church) Halloween party years ago was the Farmer's Wife and 3 blind mice! Awesome!

You could dress up as a stick/pack of gum. I made this for DD when she was younger out of a pillowcase. Added the Spearmint logo with green felt, etc.

Hartlepool - Halloween has changed so much in our country that children USUALLY either go to a city sponsored party, private party, or just to neighbors and family members, people they know. In our town, there is an entire street blocked off by the police and the whole town of kids trick-or-treats up and down that street. We are small so we know practically everyone there.

When I was a kid we covered the entire town! Candy was not so easily had in those days, so it was a supreme holiday! My poor mother would not let us go unsupervised, so after waitressing al day long, she also walked the entire town and indulged us. What a sweetheart.

And lucky you going to Portugal!

31. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Oct 3, 2009

Wow! All of you can actually dress up for Halloween???? I do not even know of a district around here that allows it- we have fall festival or harvest whatever and no costumes. You can however have a celebration, just no costumes. sad!

32. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 3, 2009

We have a "Say Boo to Drugs" day to go along with Red Ribbon Week activities, hence our costumes.

One year we had a bunch of "goth & emo" kids in 8th grade. I was teaching 7th graders at the time, and I dressed in my best "emo" clothing and told everyone I was an 8th grader. Another year I dressed DH up as a rock star and let him be a guest reader. I dressed as a groupie. The witch is dangerous with middle school kids. After all, I did have one last year who asked me why I hadn't dressed up. :lol:

33. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 4, 2009

How come no costumes? It is not a religious holiday. Though I know some religions object to Halloween (includin me). Just surprised. I thought all public schools celebrated Halloween. Is it the chaos that cut the celebrations?

34. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 4, 2009

Technically, Halloween is a religious holiday, celebrated in different ways by many different religions, including Catholicism, Wicca, and several Pagan religions, including especially the Celtic tradition. (But NOT including Satanism.) It may have lost most of its religious characteristics over the centuries, but couldn't we say the same thing about Christmas and Easter, as well?

I think most schools don't celebrate it because it is opposed to by so many different religions.

35. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Oct 4, 2009

In Portugal (as well as various other countries...plundered by thoses south European pirates) they celebrate "The Day Of The Dead", which is really sweet . Sadly many brits have settled there (to run brit-sport bars) so you get the odd sprog in a daft mask !

36. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Oct 4, 2009

Around here no Halloween or other holiday celebrations because it may offend someone- keep in mind its MA. The religious part of it and all that does not help matters, however it is easy enough to get around. Some teachers in certain schools can get around the no costumes by making it into a character dress day or something like that- making something academic and everyone can have a party, but you have to rename it and make it clear this is not a Halloween party- although it obviously is. So silly.

37. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 4, 2009

K-12 in my school district, we celebrated Halloween and we'd learn about the Day of The Dead.

38. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Oct 4, 2009

Interestingly, I've had more worry over teaching about Day of the Dead than Halloween. I still do, though, and even make sugar skulls with my class.