Team changing

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Apr 9, 2014.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 9, 2014

My principal talked to me yesterday about some of the changes that are taking place in my building next year. We had one opening in 3rd grade, so I just assumed they would hire another 3rd grade teacher. However, she is moving:
    -A kindergarten teacher to 1st grade.
    -A 1st grade teacher to 4th grade.
    -A 1st grade teacher to 3rd grade.
    -A 2nd grade teacher to 1st grade.
    -A 2nd grade teacher to 3rd grade.
    -A 4th grade teacher to 3rd grade.
    -A 4th grade teacher to 2nd grade.

We will need to hire a new 2nd grade teacher. I'm pretty bummed out, because the 2nd grade team is constantly changing. Last summer we had to interview and hire 2 new 2nd grade teachers, and now they are getting moved to other teams. I really enjoyed working with them, too.

At my previous school I worked with the same people for 3 years. It was so nice to have that consistency, and to be able to work together as a team. At my current school, I feel like we're starting over from scratch each year. Our numbers fluctuate, so we have 4 or 5 sections of each grade. That causes some movement, but I've never seen movement like this.

How often do teachers get moved around at your school (not due to numbers)?

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 9, 2014

Rarely moved.

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Apr 9, 2014

We usually have a few moves each year. My P really tries to have the best fit for each grade level, so if someone isn't working out in a grade he will move them.

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Apr 9, 2014

We get moved very rarely and then only if we request to change.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2014

My previous P often made changes, but my current one won't. As he says, "When the team is winning, you don't change the lineup." That said, there will be some minor tweaks to reflect enrollment, so we may be teaching a combined grade next year instead of a straight grade, or moving one grade up or down. Changes are minimal, however.

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 9, 2014

This is my principal's third year in the building. She has only ever moved one teacher without that teacher specifically requesting a change.

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 9, 2014

I hope this isn't going to turn into a regular thing. As far as I know, none of the teachers that are moving want to move. They're doing it with a smile on their face, but they all loved their current grades.

9. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Apr 9, 2014

At my old school I was there two years and was in different positions both years. At this school I was in first grade for 4 years. I knew my grade level stuff. This year she moved me to Kindergarten. It's ok. I will know more next year when I teach it again because I will be back in kinder for next year, as far as I know. Every year that I have been here we have had a ton of movement around in the grade levels. Either people moving out of district or just being moved because of it. I would not feel safe that I was staying in any grade level in my district.

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 9, 2014

Has your principal explained why she is shaking up the teams so radically? Usually, that kind of thing is only done for a reason.

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 9, 2014

I think it's because this is only her 3rd year as a principal, and she hasn't made very many changes yet. I think she has wanted to move teachers to create teams as she sees fit, but has been hesitant in past years. She pretty much "inherited" most of the staff/teams and kept them the way they were until now.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2014

Very rarely moved in my district.

13. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Apr 9, 2014

We got a new principal last year. She kept the teams sorts the same for her first year. Her second year, there wasn't a team that was kept intact. Every grade got new people or was completely torn apart.

14. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 9, 2014

Last year was a bit of a surprise with all the moves made, but to my knowledge they were all voluntary. A grade one teacher retired, and a grade three teacher moved to grade one, a grade four teacher moved to grade three, and a grade four teacher moved to grade two. The grade 3/4 teacher went back to grade four, and the K/1 teacher went back to K, while a grade two teacher took on a 1/2 and a grade five teacher took on a 4/5.

15. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Apr 9, 2014

Not too much, some looping here and there- but most of the movement is people leaving, not intentional moving by the principal. (Although IMO if she changed some things about herself she might not have all the unintentional movement lol.) Anyway, my team will definitely be different next year as there are 2 more 3rd grade classes than the other grades right now. So next year 4th grade will be the largest grade in the school.

16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 9, 2014

I worked with a P once who delighted in excessive moving. She moved tons of teachers and classrooms every year.

The P we have now has said he will try to make only voluntary moves. He has even said he will let teachers stay in their own rooms even if they change grade levels. Should be interesting to see how many different grade levels will end up in each of our nine classroom buildings.

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 9, 2014

I couldn't stand that. I've never had changes to my team beyond teachers leaving the school or profession due to retirement.

18. momof333

momof333 New Member

Apr 9, 2014

I have not since much moving either.

19. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Apr 9, 2014

From what I can see, teachers do not move grades here unless they volunteer or it's absolutely necessary because of numbers. There are teachers who have taught the same grade for decades. Our Kindergarten team was all hired together, and they said they would retire together-we're thinking maybe 1 or 2 more years? They would have been in the same grade for 30+ years together!

We had a fifth grade retreat today where we all got subs, everyone met at my place, I had a huge breakfast buffet and we talked about plans for next year. It was so nice to bond and get to know each other (it's still my first year here). It takes so much effort to learn a grade level's curriculum, the CCSS for the grade, get to know and trust your team-that needs to built slowly and solidly over time. Unless a team isn't getting along, I can't imagine having to re-do that over and over.

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 10, 2014

In my district, we (admin.) may not move teachers around unless it has to do with numbers.

In the event that we need to move a teacher due to numbers, the person with the least amount of seniority gets moved.

The Master Agreement states very specifically how/when/why a teacher can be moved.

We've crunched the numbers for next year and I'm pleased to report that my entire staff will be staying in their same assignment for 2014-2015. We will, however, be hiring a K/1 combo class teacher.

21. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 10, 2014

Wow, that's awful! :( How frustrating for everyone!

This is pretty much exactly how things work at my school. No one moves unless they request to move and the request is granted, or unless a move is necessary due to numbers. There has been a LOT of movement at my school this year, but it was all as a result of teacher requests, not admin decisions. Admin is good about approving requests for grade level changes when there is an open spot, as well.

And I agree - the rapport between teammates, ins and outs of the grade level and curriculum - that is so valuable. I don't think shaking things up frequently would help at ALL. Also, I really like that we have experts in each grade level - people who have been teaching that grade for several years. It helps!!

22. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2014

In our district, you are hired by the district in general, not for a specific grade or school. They move people around a lot. The reasons often given are that they want to shake people up and not have them get in a rut, they feel they would be more talented in another grade, they are breaking up cliques or alliances, they want to balance talent out in grades or schools,etc.

Reasons they don't admit to include someone ****** someone off, a new principal wants to throw their weight around, someone has been getting lazy, they are trying to force someone out by giving them an assignment they don't want, playing favorites, etc.

23. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2014

My principal was just saying in our leadership meeting that some principals decide to "shake things up" randomly and put people in different grade levels. She said she never understood that philosophy and would never do that. We have some positions shifting due to numbers in different grade levels. She is going to first open it up to staff who want to make a change, and then new hires will go to what grade level positions are left.

24. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 10, 2014

How interesting that most schools do not see such changes!

25. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Apr 11, 2014

Usually there is a reason for the change at my school & it's usually due to someone wanting to switch grade levels and if there is an open spot.

26. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Apr 12, 2014

txmomteacher2 - I would like to know how it went. The same thing happened at my school, only we were given one week's notice before school started!! and we were expected to move classrooms and have all planning done within the week. It did not go down well, teachers could not understand the logic of everyone being moved, it would be like the blind leading the blind. One by one people requested their old grade back and if we were to be moved then move us the following year, not with one week's notice. (This Principal believed that teachers should be moved every 2 years!) So we all settled down and the new Principal only lasted a year.

Fast forward and two years ago everybody's year level was changed (except me, somehow I managed to cling onto my year level, I strongly believe that teachers find a year level in which they teach their best and I had found mine). Now we have an admin who believes that teachers should stay as long as they want in a year level. If you have a winning team, don't change it.

27. applecore

applecore Devotee

Apr 15, 2014

We only move if there is a retirement, someone gets fired,...or someone passes away. Thankfully the latter hasn't happened and no one's been fired in...well, I can't remember.

That being said, we have our first teacher opening in 2 years because of a retirement.

When there's an opening in our school, there's like a mile long stack of applications to go through.

People just don't leave!

28. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Apr 18, 2014

People have historically almost never been moved involuntarily at my school....however this will be our new principal's 2nd year and rumor has it she is really going to shake up teams. We have lovely primary teachers, but some of them are weak for various reasons. It just so happens that all our weakest teachers have been clustered in K-2. That's not working out for us since kinds are playing catch up every year!

29. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 18, 2014

I was at a campus that had three new principals in three years. I was in the same grade level but never have more than one or two of my team staying at the same grade level. It's very stressful. Of course, lots of the stress there could be also attributed to the instability of administration.