Team Advice

Discussion in 'General Education' started by shirleyj, May 30, 2014.

1. shirleyj

shirleyj New Member

May 30, 2014

I was moved to a different grade level this year and was never really able to figure out the team dynamic. We never met to discuss curriculum, field trips or anything. One of the teachers tends to take the lead in decisions and then there is also a separate grade chair. There would just be a field trip on the calendar and that's how I would find out about it. I asked the grade chair if we could meet maybe once a month just to make sure we were all on the same page and she said she would take the idea to the others-nothing came of it.

I felt very left out this year. For example we had a baby shower for a colleague on another grade level and I asked if we were getting something as a team. They said we'll get back to you if we decide to do something. At the shower she reads the card to her gift and it's from everyone else on the team. :( They would have lunches together where they would all bring food to share-I asked about it one day and was just brushed off. They close the door, so I don't feel like I can just drop in and eat with them.

The worst one was when we were doing a grade level activity and I was told to go at a certain time. I took my class and did it. Then I see all the rest of the grade level going together afterward. When I asked why I was asked to go separately I was told "well, that's the way you wanted it". I questioned why the grade chair would think that and she said the rest of the team told her that's what I said. I never talked to them about this activity-they don't talk to me at all.

I didn't think I'd have to stay on this team next year, but apparently I will have to. My question is, do I say something next year and if so, how do I phrase it? I don't want to sound like a baby because they won't let me "play" but I also don't know if I can take another year of cold shoulders. I think teachers are much better if they can share ideas and collaborate-but I don't know how to do that if the others aren't up for it. Any advice would be appreciated.

3. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

May 30, 2014

talk to your principal.

you should have weekly meetings and minutes should be emailed to all members and the principal. see if your principal will make that a policy for the whole school

that is what we do in our school

its awful to have coworker bullies but the principal is like the teacher and should fix this problem.

just as you are expected to stop bullying in the classroom. principals should prevent bullying in the workplace.

4. shirleyj

shirleyj New Member

May 31, 2014

Thank you for responding. I'm reluctant to go to my P because he actually brought one of the teachers with him when he started working there. I did try to subtly bring it up once during our evaluation conference when he was talking about collaboration. I asked for advice on what to do when the team was not always willing to collaborate and his response was that he knows we collaborate all the time. I think it would just end up as who he will believe.

My old team also used to meet once a week and go over curriculum objectives, assessments, team activities, etc. It's actually pretty prevalent to do it that way in our school. For some reason this team just doesn't do that.

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 31, 2014

I'd be very upfront next year. I'd send out an email each week until I was being actively included in planning. It would say something like "last year I felt there was a lot of miscommunication. I will try to remedy that by sending out weekly emails to the team. Is there anything that is happening team-wide this week or next that I should be made aware of?"

6. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Jun 1, 2014

I would talk to the team and say you are feeling excluded. talk to the principal and say that you feel like you are out of the loop.

Could he help mediate or move you to another team?

Offer the suggestion that the team send him weekly minutes of the meeting and cc ALL team members because they are NOT keeping you in the loop.

if they were you would have no issue. you can show that you are willing to work with others but for some reason they are excluding you and telling lies about what you said.

Give him this example:

"when we were doing a grade level activity and I was told to go at a certain time. I took my class and did it. Then I see all the rest of the grade level going together afterward. When I asked why I was asked to go separately I was told "well, that's the way you wanted it". I questioned why the grade chair would think that and she said the rest of the team told her that's what I said. I never talked to them about this activity-they don't talk to me at all."

this is serious it is not just affecting you. it is affecting your kids. they missed out in doing an activity with the whole school because someone in the team is being malicious and lying about what you told them.

it might not be the whole group but you have at least one liar in that group and the others may just be believing that they speak for you.

you need to clear it up.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2014

I agree that you need to clear it up. However, I would have that same exact conversation with the whole team before having it with the P. They need to know how callously you are being treated. Maybe it will open their eyes to the one or two team members who are instigating the brush off.

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 1, 2014

I had this situation this year, and was relieved when I was asked to go back to a tested grade.

I would try to find the most approachable person on the team and ask their opinion of the situation.

I would be hesitant to go to the principal, because some would see you as not being a good fit, despite all of your efforts, and view it negatively.

Good luck next year.

9. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jun 1, 2014

This is definitely more than simple miscommunication and I would address it with your team now to set the tone for next year. If you're not able to get them together for a sit-down meeting, I would probably send an email (with all team members attached) explaining that you felt very excluded (with specific examples like the ones here) and your hope to clear up any issues so that next year is more collaborative and enjoyable.

I'm so sorry that you've had to deal with this all year!

10. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 1, 2014

Like everything else in teaching these days I would suggest that you collect data. Keep a record of the dates, time, locations and what happened. I would set up a meeting with the principal and explain your concerns. Don't look at it as "tattling" but instead seek his advice in how to best handle the problem...because it is a problem. Perhaps communicate your attempts at collaborating via email and CC or BCC the principal.