Teaher Layoff Question...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by keepinon, Apr 4, 2011.

1. keepinon

keepinon Rookie

Apr 4, 2011

Alright as the end of the year nears and in the county that I work for is preparing to make cuts. I just bought a house last spring and was wondering if I should consider trying to sell over the summer. I teach art and if I were in the position of power my job would be one of the first to go. I have been told by reliable sources that because of the class size and school size that I teach at I have nothing to worry about. So my question is, how have they made these tough decisions in other states? Has it depended on the state, have they all varied? Thanks in advance.

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 4, 2011

I think it's tough all over right now.
    I'm surprised that some of you (not just you) haven't gotten your pink slips or whatever it is per your contract. We had to know 60 days or something to that nature whether we were getting pink slips or not. I think I got mine around Spring Break time... which for us is the first part of April.

Do you have your degree in something else, that may get you into a reg. ed classroom?!?

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Apr 4, 2011

I wouldn't sell your house. Worst case scenario, you rent it out or rent a room and have housemates or something. Even if you had to take another job, I would hope there is a good way to keep your house.

I bought a condo last year, and got a steal. However, the sales in my building that have happened since were for 50k less than I paid. I know I would lose money if I sold now. Plus I think you take a loss with your taxes if you sell before 2 years.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 7, 2011

I agree not to panic & do anything just yet that you may regret. You never know what will happen. DO all you can to keep your home.

Good luck.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2011

I think it would be foolish and impulsive to sell a new house because of rumors that you may or may not be laid off. Don't do anything until you have some concrete facts.

I'm not sure I understand your comment about being one of the first to be let go if you were in a position of power. Can you explain that one?

In other states, layoffs are made in a variety of ways. Since we have a union in my district, all the layoff procedures are outlined in our negotiated agreement. In a Reduction In Force situation, teachers newest to the district and low in seniority ranking will be laid off, regardless of the subject they teach or the school they teach in. In a different type of situation like a Surplus situation, school site administrators have some power over who stays and who goes. If an administrator has to eliminate positions, he or she will look at a variety of factors to determine which department those positions should come from. Then the administrator asks the members of the department if anyone would be willing to volunteer for surplus. If no one volunteers, then the person newest to the district (not necessarily the school) will be surplused. After that point, any teachers who are surplused have first dibs on any open positions elsewhere in the district. If there are no open positions in their subject area, they can bump someone else out of a job if they outrank anyone in that license area. It's a very complicated process.

7. glen

glen Companion

Apr 7, 2011

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2011

Sorry to hear about that Glen... I believe it is what your Union has in the contract... Ours was like 60 days or something to that nature.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2011

Our budget won't be finalized for quite some time, so we don't expect to hear anything about the status of our jobs until the end of May.

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2011

Wow Caesar... I know they didn't know everything... but they had to do it to "cover" themselves... They can always call you back!!

11. glen

glen Companion

Apr 7, 2011

Our contracts were similar. Notifications had to be given following the finalization of the budget. For us, the budget was dependent upon a vote at the May town meeting.