Teachtown: Basics

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by teachersk, Dec 13, 2008.

1. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Dec 13, 2008

Has anyone used this?

I am very curious and would like to know if anyone has any experience with it. I'd like to convince my administration to let me try it with one of my students.

It's research based and the research document is quite impressive. It utilizes ABA principles within the program (errorless learning, prompt fading, etc.) and includes individualized reinforcement!

Please let me know if any of you have used this or heard anything about this.

http://web.teachtown.com/

3. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Dec 13, 2008

Another autism teacher next door (K-1 grades) uses it for all of her students. She really loves it! She showed it to me, it's really fun, the kids love it and they learn a lot. She's trying to convince me to sign up, but it's really pricey, and the school has no money with all the budget cuts :-(

4. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Dec 13, 2008

I've read nothing but rave reviews about it. I think it's an amazing idea. The fact that it's research based makes it meet criteria for education requirements.

I'm hoping my school will go for it. I just ordered the 30 day free trial in hopes that I can show them what a neat product it is (crossing my fingers). I will try it out with a couple kids and see what progress we can make in 30 days. I think this will be my ammo for getting them to pay for it.

My school costs school districts somewhere over $100,000 a year. They better be able to splurge $39.95 a month. I know that if they say no, it will be due to budget reasons (which is crazy).

5. Rockys_Mom

Rockys_Mom Rookie

Dec 14, 2008

I'd love to try it, even though I teach h.s. Most of my students function prek-k. I know I couldn't afford it though. It'd come out of my budget, and this would zap just about everything I have. :(

6. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Dec 14, 2008

It says on their website that they are in the process of coming out with a version for 7-12 year olds (developmental level) so that might meet your needs too!

Also, they have a 30 day trial... maybe you could just do that to see if you could write a grant request or PTA request for it or something...!

Data doesn't lie... and there are charts and graphs that print out for each student.

7. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Dec 17, 2008

How did you get a free 30-day trial? I didn't see any info about it on their website...

8. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Jan 9, 2009

Can you please tell me how you ordered a 30-day trial version? Thank you!

9. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jan 9, 2009

There's a place on their website that you can click "contact us" and request the 30-day trial. I was going to post the link here for you, but the web server for TeachTown seems to be down right now. I'll try again tomorrow and hopefully post the link.

10. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Jan 10, 2009

Ah, ok, I guess I just have to do the same - contact them.
    Thank you!
    Did you get yours already?

11. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jan 10, 2009

Actually, because it was a 30-calendar-day trial, I decided I didn't want to order it right before we had our 11 day Christmas break. I called and asked if I could wait until January. I have to re-order this week.

Here's the link:

http://web.teachtown.com/?section=products&page=30-day

I'll order mine this week. We'll probably get it at the same time!