Teaching Your Own Children

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tiffharmon2001, Jun 30, 2009.

1. tiffharmon2001

tiffharmon2001 Comrade

Jun 30, 2009

My son is going to be in PreK when school begins in August. Our school currently has only two PreK classrooms-mine and the room next door. He is a very young 4 (actually he won't be 4 for two more weeks) and has a history of having a very difficult time with separating (mostly at daycare in the mornings, but also some at church, etc) which only lasts a few minutes, but is very dramatic. :blush:

I'm worried that having him next door is going to be a problem next year. After the initial separation in the morning, he will see me at breakfast, in the hallway, at lunch, and possibly on the playground. I don't want him getting upset every time I pass him in the hall :eek:

So, I'm thinking of putting him in my class next year. I am pretty confident that he will be doing two years of PreK because he is so young, so he could be in the other class the following year after he has had time to mature a little and a year of experiencing being with other teachers for special classes, etc. :confused:

My husband doesn't think this is the best idea. He says that he's sure our son will be fine in a few days-but my son doesn't have this problem when dad drops him off. (my husband has to be at work at 6am, so having him drop off isn't an option).

What do you think? I'd love to hear pros and cons from anyone who has been their own child's teacher or known someone who has.

I have three daughters and haven't had any problems with them making this transition-with the exception of my oldest's first fire drill when she came running to me because she was scared ;)

I really want to do what will be best for both of us in the long run.

3. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2009

I taught all three of my own daughters, all in PreK. It wasn't an issue. I loved it, actually, because it gave me a window into a world that parents don't normally get to see. They called me mom, but I treated them just like I treated everyone else. There were no parent issues, no favoritism. When they needed to be disciplined, I did it. I think the classes that each of them were in were my favorites...I really got to know those kids better than in some other classes because those kids were also my daughters' playmates.

My principal was all for it. I think that is the number one hurdle to get over - is this something that will even be allowed in your school?

However, I am the only PreK teacher in our school. I don't know if I'd have chosen to teach them initially if I'd had another option.

What about the idea does your husband oppose?

My one negative is that my kids DO have problems seperating the following year, when they enter kindergarten. My youngest, who just finished preK, had issues at camp this week. After a year of mommy, it was hard to move on to someone else...if your son already has these issues, they may be amplified for him. My kids never had issues saying goodbye, not until AFTER I'd taught them.

Leaving him at specials may also be difficult for you (and him). Same goes for leaving him at lunch, on the playground, etc. One thing to think about - when he has that issue seperating, how do you handle it? Is it going to detract from you being able to help the other 20 kids in the class because you're focused on him? You're concerned that he may become repeatedly upset when he sees you (if he's in someone else's class). Well, what about the repeated seperations he'll encounter throughout the day?

And if he is so attached to Mom, how will he deal with all of those other kids and their attachment to you? How will he deal with sharing your affections, and seeing you be affectionate with so many strangers? Or, in another view, how will he deal with being demoted from being your son to being just one of a large pack of kids??

Just some things to think about.

4. tiffharmon2001

tiffharmon2001 Comrade

Jun 30, 2009

Thanks for the ideas kimrandy1. All things that I have been turning over in my head. My principal is for it if that's what we decide. He is a former PE teacher and had his daughters in his PE classes all through their elementary years-not quite the same as all day, I agree-and he loved it. He had some of the same pros that you said already.

I think the biggest thing that my husband worries is that school issues will make their way home. My son is very strong willed and can be a handful sometimes. He just doesn't want problems from the school day to cause problems at home as well. I see his point on this.

I'm going to keep thinking about the things you brought up. You have some very good points both ways.
    Thanks again.

5. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 30, 2009

My little boy had some seperation issues due to a neglectful day care experiene (I filed formal charges.). After putting him in a wonderful preschool, he made it through going to K wonderfully. He goes to the school where I teach and I was worried about him seeing me in the hall, but we winked at each other and I would give him hugs when they passed by. He did amazingly! His bday is Sept. 3 and school here starts in Aug. so he was 4 when he started K. I was soooooooooo worried, but he did wonderfully and I bet your sweetie will, too. Having your own child can be hard. I say let your little one go to the other class.

6. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2009

I would place him in the other classroom. One of two things usually occur and I have seen both first hand...either you will be extremely, overly strict with him or you will let him get away with murder.

The first two weeks will probably be his (and your) hardest.
    He will do fine in the other classroom and there is nothing wrong with him snatching kisses and hugs from his momma during the school day. :hugs:

7. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 30, 2009

I completely agree with Sandra.

8. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2009

And when my girls moved to the K classroom next door, their teacher was very generous about allowing them to come to my room for a little mom time. She always put it in the form of an errand (I have the hall fridge in my room, so she'd send her over to grab a Coke for her, or to put her lunch away after lunch, or to deliver me a note....sometimes the notes would just say, "Grace needed a mom minute." I'd pretend to write something back, give her a snuggle and send her back to class!)

We also came up with a code so that every time they saw me, they didn't run out of line and come for me, or get sad. I taught them the "I love you" hand sign, and we'd hold that really low, by our hips, as we passed by each other and smiled. Having that expectation of "stay with your class, but here's our secret communication" made it easier for them.

I have to say, I was not overly hard or easy on my own girls. I have a co-teacher, and I asked her repeatedly to tell me honestly if either ever happened. I had a sub this past year who didn't know I was Natalie's mom until her babysitter brought her back to me at dismissal - after FIVE DAYS in my room. (we're a half-day program, and she was in the AM). If you work really hard at it and are honest about your child's strengths and weaknesses, you can make it work.

Kim

9. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2009

:thumb: Kim is one smart mom! :)

10. 88tuner

88tuner Rookie

Jun 30, 2009

My son

I have had my son in band with me for the last 2 years and my wife had him in her music class for six years. We have both enjoyed having him there and he has had no problems at all.

11. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Jun 30, 2009

My son is still daycare age, but I work there for the summer and find that it's very hard to have him in my class. He expects me to give him extra attention, which I can't really do, and in turn I end up being overly strict with him.

His regular teacher has a 4-year old son, who is in the Pre-K class down the hall. He sees her during class changes (they change every hour) all day, and every time he goes to get water (her class is next to the water fountain). His teacher knows that he misses his mom, so she doesn't mind him stopping by for a quick hug and hello on the way by. Then he goes back to class, gets super busy, and forgets about mom until he sees her again. She gives him a hug & kiss and they part ways.

Honestly, if given the choice, I would put my son in a different classroom and just acknowledge him quickly when you see him.

12. tiffharmon2001

tiffharmon2001 Comrade

Jun 30, 2009

I really was leaning toward putting him in the other class, but just had that nagging thought in the back of my mind. Probably has something to do with him being my last baby and the only boy... I just needed some encouragement that it was indeed the right thing to do. Thanks for all your advice!
    My 5 year old daughter was in that class last year and we LOVE the teacher! I completely trust that she will be great for him. I'm sure we'll both make the adjustment in a couple of weeks.

13. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jun 30, 2009

I will have both of my girls in my class this year, I have a slpit class of PRe-K and Kindergarten. My girls were both in my Pre-K cloass last year and My 5 year old will be in my Kindergarten class this year. My 4 yo will remain in the Pre-K. It worked out great last year. I had to talk to my girls a couple of times after school to remind them that during school, mommy is Mrs. Teacher. If they needed a moment of calm down time, there was never an issue with stepping out of the room for a snuggle. I am the only Kindergarten teacher at our school and so there aren't many options, and I want my kids to go to the Christian school where I teach. We had already decided that if the Christian school wasn't an option that I would homeschool, in which case, they would both be in my classroom. :) I hope everything works out. I will say that our staff is split 50/50 as to whether or not they would want their child in their classroom.