Teaching your own child

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by gottagoodgig, Sep 30, 2009.

1. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Sep 30, 2009

I'm curious. . . Has anyone ever had their own child in class? Does your school allow this? How did it go? Would you do it again? I teach 1st grade and have a son in K and I'm just wondering what folks think. Luckily, there are 3 other wonderful 1st grade teachers at my school and all would be great for him. Just curious. . .

3. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 1, 2009

They would place them in another first grade class due to conflict of interest. probably.

They wouldn't want you to inflate your son's grades :p

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2009

I never had my own child, but did have a cousin. It wasn't a big deal it was actually pretty easy because they respected & so did the child as a the teacher & as a cousin outside of school. I was really able to talk to them on a "flat out" this is how it is front. It's funny now when I talk to this cousin I'll say, "Who was you favorite teacher?" I get a ah you!!! LOL!!!

5. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 1, 2009

I had my son when he was in 2nd grade for an hour a day. He was in my reading class. We leveled and he was in the high with me.

My son is in high school and he is in his third year of having his father in class. It is hard on both of them. My husband is super tough on him. I feel like a referee some nights. My son loves my husband and worships him and knows that his dad is the best at his job. I changed schools so that my son could be taught by his father. My husband gets more kids into college in his program than any other teacher in his position in the state. Since he is so successful with other people's children, I wanted him to have our child. My son is only in 10th grade and he already has 2 or 3 colleges offering him scholarships and want to have him in their program.

6. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Oct 1, 2009

We are a small school. There are two teachers per grade level in the elementary, and those teachers team teach. For example, one teacher will teach all of the math and spelling and the other will teach all the science and social studies. In the high school and junior high we only have two teachers per subject area except for items such as business ed, health and pe, home ec. This means that if your child goes to this school - they will be in your class. I think some teachers are actually harder on their own children that other's children. I think when that day comes for me, it will be kind of weird. I will have my own kids in class from their 10th grade year to graduation.

7. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Oct 1, 2009

I taught both my older kids PE for 6 years. Taught them some reading some years and computer skills. It was great. I could tell you some funny stories.
    and this year I have my five year old for PE with kindergarten.
    started over:eek:

8. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 1, 2009

I wish I'd had my daughter in fifth grade back when I taught it. The teacher she had was mediocre to say the least. If you have good choices for your child's teacher just enjoy him being next door. :)

9. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 2, 2009

I have my own daughter as one of my typical peers in my inclusion preschool classroom. While I like having her here, if there was another classroom, I would put her in it, but there isn't another room. She can be my worst one at times.

10. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Oct 2, 2009

I can honestly say that I would not like this. But, I understand that in small schools it can happen.