Teaching your children to drive

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bandnerdtx, Jul 30, 2012.

1. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 30, 2012

I work part-tiime for a private driver's ed company, and over the last few years, we've seen a lot of changes in the industry. More and more parents are teaching their kids at home through approved programs created by the state education agency. There are some parents, though, that are scared to death to teach their kids to drive.

So my colleagues and I were talking, and I was just wondering what the general public thinks about driver's ed. Here's what I'd like to know:

1. Did you/will you teach your children to drive or will you have someone else do it? Why will you choose that method?

2. Do you feel most parents are qualified to teach their children to drive?

3. How much training do you think teens should have before they are allowed to get a license (not just a permit)?

4. Is there a particular skill that you feel driver's ed classes should focus on more than others?

5. Does your school district offer driver's ed and if so does it cost anything?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2012

My daughter is only 8 so I have some time. :)

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 30, 2012

It's unfortunate that kids do stupid things with cars. I'm not sure how you get it to stop. I've always been relatively level-headed, good kid, etc... but even I've done some stupid things behind the wheel when I was younger like brake-checking people, etc... The senior room at my old school was dedicated to a previous senior who had died in a car accident.

We just had four seniors die at a school close to my parents. They were speeding over railroad tracks to try and catch air and lost control. It was literally at like 3am the morning of their graduation. It was so heartbreaking.

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 30, 2012

4. Is there a particular skill that you feel driver's ed classes should focus on more than others? I took a course at a racetrack that was for defensive driving. We practiced skills such as swerving to avoid "items" (really it was like a red light/green light thing in different lanes). We got to drive a skid car that was supposed to mimic slipping on ice. There was one more skill too. I know we practiced braking suddenly both with and without ABS. It was SUCH a better program than any other I've ever seen. There was also a classroom portion. It was actually taught by racers.

THIS is what I wish we taught! In Texas, kids are required to do 27 hours behind the wheel, but like you were saying about Ohio, it's not verified at all.

I know that once I can get a kid to move the vehicle properly, understand the basic laws and make decent decisions, then the next thing they need is how to handle emergency situations. Those are so hard to find. I would *love* to teach that class, though! :)

6. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2012

1. Did you/will you teach your children to drive or will you have someone else do it? Why will you choose that method? Don't have kids, but my dad taught me to drive. I took driver's ed at school, but the cars at home were stick shifts so my dad had to teach me to drive one.

2. Do you feel most parents are qualified to teach their children to drive? Sure

3. How much training do you think teens should have before they are allowed to get a license (not just a permit)? When I got my license I thought 16 was too long to wait, but now I'm like HOLY MESS THOSE CHILDREN ARE DRIVING!!?? I'd be more comfortable with them waiting until 18. But hell, I'm not a teen anymore :)

4. Is there a particular skill that you feel driver's ed classes should focus on more than others? The written part was a waste of time. The practical part (driving on the road) is the only important part in my opinion.

5. Does your school district offer driver's ed and if so does it cost anything? In Costa Rica, driver's ed is super expensive, no free programs. Where I went to high school in the USA it was extremely low cost.

7. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 30, 2012

It was expensive but sooooo worth it! I still consider that money well spent from my parents. I actually knew local courts sent kids there who got driving infractions too. I know it's costly to do but I wish more programs would include it.

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 30, 2012

Well currently, Texas requires 32 hours in the classroom and 27 in car. If a teen goes to a driving school like mine, the basic class will include the 32 hours in class and 7 hours in the car. The other 20 hours are usually logged by the parents, but some choose to have them drive those additional 20 with us. It's *really* expensive ($2000 if you get that big package), but I think it's worth it.

What I've found is that some parents either a) have habits they've developed that are dangerous for new drivers and/ or b) haven't really kept up to date with what we know about driving safety. For example, the NHTSA has recommended for years that we drive at "9 and 3" but most parents still teach "10 and 2" because that's how they were taught. Setting mirrors is another issue. Most of us were taught to set our side mirrors so that you can just see the back of your car, but studies for the last decade and a half show that the best way to set your side mirrors is so that you *can't* see your car. In a traditional car, you really can eliminate blind spots and NOT have to look over your shoulder (which is very dangerous). And sadly, some of the kids see their parents engaging in risky behavior (speeding, texting, talking on the phone), and then they think they can handle that, too.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2012

1. Did you/will you teach your children to drive or will you have someone else do it? Why will you choose that method?

I don't know of any driver's education program around here and have never heard of someone I know taking such courses. So while I don't have children, I don't know if it's even an option. Dad took me driving once that I recall and my stepmom did once. That was the extent of my training.

I think many people could if they took the time. But I don't think that's always happening. And there are a lot of idiotic adult drivers out there, so...

3. How much training do you think teens should have before they are allowed to get a license (not just a permit)?

Our teens don't get a full license without restrictions for a year. But the rules are ignored. I don't have a good enough grasp on driver's ed to really answer.

4. Is there a particular skill that you feel driver's ed classes should focus on more than others?

I think defensive driving is a biggie. Kind of related, I don't think cell phone and texting rules can be stressed enough.

No, it's not offered.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2012

1. Did you/will you teach your children to drive or will you have someone else do it? Why will you choose that method? We did a combination with both of our kids. They started in parking lots on the weekends, but took accredited courses as well--Alex through the school and Lauren through a private company. Almost all kids here take classes as the insurance companies offer a substantial discount.

2. Do you feel most parents are qualified to teach their children to drive? This is a hard one. I think that young drivers need more practice than a course can provide. Both my kids were pretty proficient drivers by the time they took their classes.

3. How much training do you think teens should have before they are allowed to get a license (not just a permit)? They need a good mix of theory, rules of the road and practice. I think that the amount of time differs depending on the student.

4. Is there a particular skill that you feel driver's ed classes should focus on more than others? Parking, defensive driving, highway driving.

5. Does your school district offer driver's ed and if so does it cost anything? Yes, it runs out of most high schools as an after school program. It costs just over $500, which compares to some of the smaller driving schools and is about half the price of the best known one.

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2012

No kids... I'll answer based on my parents.

12. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jul 31, 2012

:)

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2012

My school doesn't. I'm not sure about my district.

14. paperlabs

paperlabs Rookie

Jul 31, 2012

1. Did you/will you teach your children to drive or will you have someone else do it?
    I have taught one of my children and I am currently teaching another as well as sending him to Driver's ed for summer school credit.

Why will you choose that method?
    At 63 yrs.old with a CDL-A license, and farm experience driving complex machines I feel confident in my ability to teach. I have never had an accident. And yes, btw, I can and did keep it on the road (including the allegorical one), so now days I probably should be driving instead of teaching. Also I want my child to get H.S. credit.

Some parents do not seem to know how to drive themselves, but maybe they would learn by teaching.

Depends on the teacher and the student's natural ability. They probably should not be allowed to drive until they have their own children who they love and who depend on them.

Don't drive faster than you can think.

Yes. $350

15. Kaseta

Kaseta Rookie

Jul 31, 2012

Don't have any children to base these questions off of. Writing based on my own experiences.

My mother and a friend of hers taught me how to drive. Both had clean driving records, no road rage, and reviewed the state guide I was given prior to instructing me to ensure what they were doing was indeed accurate.

As for why, I had a medical condition that might have impacted my driving at the time. So I missed out when other students my age were doing Driver's Ed and had to wait longer to start.

I feel some are, some aren't. In the case of my mother and her acquaintance, I felt safe being in a car with them and they never showed any risky behaviors. They've always been calm, attentive drivers. Now, if certain other members of my family had been instructing, I would of come out with a fair number of bad habits I'm sure.

I think beginning drivers need to have experience in each representative driving situation if possible. Rural single lane, multi-lane city, and interstate driving experiences. As I did most of my driving in a rural area, my first urban driving experience was a shock. There are just certain things that are or are not present in each situation that a person must know to be a safe driver.

3 Point Turns, Parallel Parking, Night/Snow/Ice/Rain driving. 3 Point Turns were the number one cause for failing a driving test early on in my home county, parallel parking was a close second. As far as weather goes, I intentionally went out during light rainstorms and at nighttime during my practices to gain experience. Despite this, I lived in an area with virtually no snowfall or ice. So, when I relocated to an area that got 12+ inches of snow the following year that was brand new and awfully scary, skittering around the road on ice. I would of been more comfortable (at least, as much as you can be) on the snow and ice if there had been prior experience.

Also, know how to do all the required driving skills with different sized vehicles. I learned to drive in a full size pick-up truck. When I went to test, they informed me at that point that they only allowed small vehicles for testing due to safety reasons. While I passed that first time out, going from a Ford to a Kia in the span of one hour without any experience is not something I'd recommend to others.

They do, but I'm unsure of the cost now. I know it isn't very expensive due to the economic condition of the area.

16. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jul 31, 2012

1. Did you/will you teach your children to drive or will you have someone else do it? Why will you choose that method?We taught our oldest the basics at home, gave her some time on the dirt roads around farms, but the instructor she had was definitely a lot more patient with the highways and biways than we would ever have been. Making friends with people who own a dairy farm worked well. If she hit a cow on the farm, we'd share it. :rolleyes:We'll do the same with the next daughter...

2. Do you feel most parents are qualified to teach their children to drive?If we assume "most" parents have a clean driving record and are safe drivers, then, yes.

3. How much training do you think teens should have before they are allowed to get a license (not just a permit)?1 year...not six months like it is here in Idaho. We made our daughter wait a full year to experience ALL the seasons of driving and many different conditions as possible before she got her license.

4. Is there a particular skill that you feel driver's ed classes should focus on more than others?Speed AND being able to think fast---instant reacts to cars swerving in your lane and being able to think about what to do. Life flashes before you eyes---especially with a teenager at the wheel!

5. Does your school district offer driver's ed and if so does it cost anything?Yes, $125 plus we have to pay for the permit...excellent deal considering it could be more.

17. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 31, 2012

I went to a driving school and thought it was well worth the cost.

18. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 1, 2012

School school and more school. Makes you wonder how people learned to drive before driving school.

I just rode with my daughter last night who just got her permit yesterday, no problems. She'll learn by DOING IT with an experienced driver. I mean what's the most motivating factor for learning known to man - death! You either learn or you die, so you learn.

Driving is a complex activity involving many mental as well as physical activities firing at the same time.

It's just one more thing that's been turned into a money-making industry. People learn to drive by doing. Sure you need to make them aware that you don't own the road, what the signals mean, don't drive drunk, etc. As far as the actual activity of driving, it just comes with practice and experience. So of course parents are qualified to teach it. Just another thing that has evolved to where the state (government) thinks they can teach our kids better than we their parents can.

19. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Aug 1, 2012

A one hour driving lesson costs US$26 per hour. The actual test is US$210. We will teach them because of the cost.

I remember my driving tests!! as if it were only yesterday. Yes I feel qualified but it doesn't stop me going for the imaginary brake at my feet!

In Queensland, Australia, all learner drivers have to complete 100 hours of supervised driving (10 of which need to be night time driving). Learners complete a log book which is sent off to be checked with the Department of Transport (odometer readings, supervisor instructors (parents, relatives, etc) licence details, etc. My daughter is waiting for hers to come back. It takes approximately one year to accumulate 100 hours. When her book is returned, she can sit her driving test (A friend's son's book was returned because her and her husband's signatures were too similar!). We have twins learning next year, so that is 200 hours we have to sit in and supervise. The research says that fewer young people are learning to drive as some parent's don't/won't sit in for 100 hours.

How to reverse a trailer - I can't even reverse in a straight line, nor can I parallel park.

5. Does your school district offer driver's ed and if so does it cost anything? No.

20. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 1, 2012

We did it online with my son...he drove cross country with a livestock trailer to get most of his hours in. My mom rode with him a lot. We did the online because of sporting schedule did not allow for the drive time offered by the school.

The cost of the school was the cheapest, but the online was second in cost. Private lessons were more expensive and we would have had to drive 40 minutes one way to get to the lessons.

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 1, 2012

No kids here, but when I was a teen, my parents paid for one of those private driver's ed schools for me. But when I was as young as, I think 11, if my parents happened to be in a VERY empty parking lot, they'd let me drive around slowly.

Hard to say, but with some adults I see driving crazily, it's sometimes a scary thought knowing they might be teaching their kids!

In my state of residence, 6 mos is about right.

The art of taking one's time. It's better to be a little late than fly down the highway like a bat out of hell & risk getting into an acccident. Better yet, remind people to leave for their destination in plenty of time, so they don't have to rush on the road.

No, my district goes up to 8th gr.

22. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 1, 2012

I'm pretty sure now that I think about it, when I got my license driver's ed was required if you were under 18. I could be wrong though. I just know literally everyone I knew took it because we were all trying to coordinate our schedules!

ETA: Apparently it is required. "The state of Ohio requires you to complete a driver education course if you are under 18. The course can be taken either through your high school program (if one is offered) or an approved private driver training school.

The course should consist of at least 24 hours of classroom instruction, and eight hours of driving with a certified instructor."

http://www.dmv.org/oh-ohio/drivers-ed.php

23. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 2, 2012

When I did drivers ed (in.. 2006), it was required in HS, we spent the entire semester on studying for the written test.

The 6 hours had to be gotten from a an outside company (usually $350 for 6 hours)

I had to get 15 hours at $350 an hour. That was fun (Yay for the state footing the bill).

Still can't drive