Teaching Yearbook - need advice!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by piggle, May 18, 2009.

1. piggle

piggle Rookie

May 18, 2009

I've been looking for teaching jobs for a few months, but have restricted myself to high schools and middle schools in about a 3 mile radius. :p Luckily, the local high school needs a biology teacher, and I had a great interview and very positive follow-up email from the principal. Unfortunately, they just listed the position as Biology / Coach (the teacher that is retiring was an assistant football coach). Needless to say, coaching anything other than teeball would be quite a stretch! :eek:

The principal was doing his best to figure out and rearrange schedules, and in the meantime also listed a English / Yearbook position. I emailed to ask if he'd consider a Biology / Yearbook position instead, and he said that would be perfect if I had a journalism certification. I don't, but could add one by taking the test. He seems really interested in having me do that, and I have my fingers crossed that this might eventually work out!

So...I have a masters in Molecular Bio, and I am certified to teach (and have taught) high school Biology. But for the last 5 years I've been writing and teaching classes on photography, photo editing (in Photoshop), and scrapbooking. I've written and designed several class books, but I have no actual experience in Yearbook, although I think it would be a blast and a great fit with my current interests.

Is this too much of a stretch? Yearbook I'm sure is a HUGE undertaking, and I have zero experience. It looks like the school currently uses Josten's, and they do have an advisor workshop this summer. Is that something that would be a must? It would be a long trip and a lot of money (unless school covered it I guess). There is a UIL workshop in Austin, but it looks like it's mainly for students plus their advisors, and needless to say I don't think I could get that lined up for this summer.

Am I crazy for even considering this??? :dizzy:

3. alschoolteacher

alschoolteacher Companion

May 18, 2009

I took over my school yearbook 3 years ago while pregnant and I don't have nearly the expertise that you do! It is much smaller scale I am sure than what you would be doing (K-8 365 students). We also use jostens and have had lots of issues with their service. The website is pretty easy to use, but my representative is not helpful ( I haven't even spoken to him this year!) I have managed on my own for 3 years (pregnant for 2) with very little student help. We do not have a yearbook period, so it was all after school. I am quitting after this year because I don't have time with two little ones.

4. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 18, 2009

A credential in journalism to do a yearbook!?! Please, these Admins are making teachers bend over backwards with stuff like this. It's a yearbook!

5. piggle

piggle Rookie

May 18, 2009

I think the journalism certification might be required - not sure if it's by the state, or NCLB, or something else. He didn't specify. But I agree - I was surprised it was a requirement as well! I could see if I was actually teaching journalism of course...

I saw the yearbook they did this year and was blown away - it is VERY professional. The layout and theme ("connections") is fantastic. The school is pretty large - 2200 kids. I have no idea how their yearbook class is structured, but I do know that the journalism teacher doesn't want to teach it next year.

6. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

May 18, 2009

To me, a year book credential would be more graphic design than journalism? haha but with scrapbooking (I'm also a scrapper) that will come in handy! Hopefully it'll work out for you :D

7. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 19, 2009

I never taught yearbook, but I did do Journalism and the school newspaper. The credential is to ensure proper reporting techniques are taught. So no "questionable" photos of girls not wearing underwear make it in :)

Mostly, everything will be deadlines and arranging to have pictures taken - plus you'll have to help with editing the stories that are written and ensure there are "inside" jokes written in teenager-language!

8. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 19, 2009

At the high school level - yes. We have students that want to be graphic designers, photographers, etc. . . so teachers teaching yearbook must be credentialed in that area. It is a class and students do recieve a credit for the class.

The only thing I will add - and not to discourage you but to make sure you are fully informed - our yearbook teacher works during the summer A LOT and since it is considered a teaching position and not extra cir, she is not compensated. The yearbook is never finished at the end of school, she also had to coordinate senior yearbook pictures, and she schedules workshops for her students during the summer. I think most parents expect a yearbook that looks professional after paying nearly $60 :)

Good Luck with your decision and keep us posted

9. piggle

piggle Rookie

May 19, 2009

So for those of you with journalism credentials - can you recommend a good textbook / book so I can study for the TExES? I'm having problems finding the "definitive" book - and since I've never had a journalism class, I need something thorough! I assume the more recently updated, the better, since this field must change dramatically from year to year.

I do have a good bit of photography, Photoshop, and layout design experience, so those components wouldn't have to be stressed as much.

10. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

May 19, 2009

I've done yearbook for a few years too. This is my last year, but yes you could do it with your experience. The Jostens website is good. We don't work on it during the summer.

11. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

May 19, 2009

Sounds like fun to me... but then, I'm sometimes a glutton for punishment ;-)

12. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

May 19, 2009

I'm still working on certification, but I just passed the TExES journalism last month. Journalism is going to be my initial certification. :) I used Pass the TExES - and would actually sell it to you for half price, if you're interested. =) (Send me a message, if you are!)

As for teaching yearbook, I think you're certainly qualified enough. Our high school yearbook teacher was a new teacher who was certified in computer science. Luckily he had a veteran staff who helped him out; I was editor that year and had a TON of extra work making up the difference for him, but we pulled out a pretty good book in the end. I think if you just do some 'research' online, you should be fine, even without the workshop. They often have more during the year that you could attend with your staff, I know we went to several that year.

Message me if you're interested in the study guide or if you need anything else. =)

13. bluelightstar

bluelightstar Companion

May 21, 2009

Depends on the district as well.

Our yearbook teacher gets paid an extra $2000 a year or something like that (the newspaper teacher gets a little less) and is required to have the English/Journalism certification. We also use Josten's and have since I was in high school. It was wonderful then, and as far as I know, it still is.

14. wregan

wregan New Member

Jul 17, 2009

Be sure and get a copy of Yearbook Fundamentals (produced by CSPA). It has been a very valuable resource for me!

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator