Teaching Writing

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Buckeye, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Buckeye

Buckeye Rookie

Jul 23, 2007

I will be teaching 2nd grade after 3 years teaching kindergarten. I am not sure where to start when it comes to teaching writing. My students are low with most being able to formulate 1 sentence and some putting 2 sentences together. I am looking for advice how to properly teach them to put sentences together in hopes of working up to a paragraph...i should say that there is no writing program currently being used at this school. So, can anyone recommend any good websites or plans that you have used in your own classroom?

Thanks

3. Danigirl

Danigirl Rookie

Jul 23, 2007

When I student taught in a second grade classroom the district had implemented the program step up to writing. While I didn't work with it a whole lot (I was only in that classroom for part of the year) I really did like working with it because it started with the basics of putting a sentence together. It then went on to building a very basic, but organized paragraph. We had a lot of students that were just learning how to write as well, and this helped meet them at a level where they could be successful. We did most of the lessons as small groups or together on the overhead (our students did need quite a bit of guidance).

4. I_love_turtles

I_love_turtles Rookie

Jul 23, 2007

I've been in 2nd for about 4 years (going to 3rd this year), and what I used a lot is Writing Mini-lessons for Second Grade published by Carson DeLossa Publishing. It is meant for use when teaching using the 4 blocks but doesn't have to be because it is mini-lessons and can be used on its own. I picked mine up at the teaching store for about 18.00. I also use The Art of Teaching Writing by Lucy McCormick Calkins. This one is much longer and more expensive, but a really good read. It has a lot of information and gives ideas, but is not as specific for what lessons to teach (if that makes sense).

You said the school does not have a writing program. Do you know if they follow a specific philisophy or format such as writing workshop or four blocks or four square writing or anything like that? Also, do they have a literacy coach or mentor that you might get some more information from?

5. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

We are in the same boat where our school does not follow any writing program like 4 blocks or 6 traits. Last year we used a lot of prompts and the kids were very frustrated. This year we plan on moving to mini-lessons and giving them freedom to write to any topic. I am not sure if it will be a full blown writer's workshop format or not. I have done a lot of research on this topic and they say that the workshop format really works. The student's have some ownership and you have to guide them to published pieces over time. This website has alot of info http://www.ttms.org/

6. MJH

MJH Companion

Jul 24, 2007

I know how you feel. I taught kindergarten for 16 years and will be in second this year. I've been reading up on both 6+1 Traits and Writer's Workshop. I think that I'm going to go with Writer's Workshop and incorperate the traits into it.

I really like the set up of WW especially the notebook. I think that it's a little more organized which would be better for my students. This will be a learning experience for me and them both.

7. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Jul 24, 2007

My class sounds like yours. I am beginning by reviewing letter sounds by doing word category type activities like "words that begin with s or st and word families. I talk about stretching out words to hear each sound and have them practice hearing how many sounds in words. After that I will move to sentences about some of these words. Then I will move to writing two sentences on the same topic, generating idea webs, and then full blown paragraphs.

I like to do "extend my sentence" activities where I will write...

I have a boat. (The kids have to make it better one word at a time)
    I have a silver boat
    I have a silver boat with a sail.
    I have a silver boat with a blue sail.
    I own a silver boat with a blue sail.

8. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 25, 2007

I used Step Up to Writing. Their writing was much better than students in previous years. I also like the mini lessons in the 4 Blocks book for second grade. Lots of great ideas and different ways to teach writing.

9. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2007

Get an idea of your kids with simple sentences such as:
    I like boats.
    I like boats because they go fast.

After a while, have them write about things quite familar to them such as each person that lives in their house.
    My mom is nice.
    She likes to do the dishes.
    Her freind is Betty.
    She drinks coffee.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 29, 2007

We use The Writing Academy notebooks. I don't do all the lessons, but pick and choose what works best for the current class I have.

http://www.twa.net/