Teaching writing

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by ST13, Jan 15, 2016.

1. ST13

ST13 Companion

Jan 15, 2016

hi I teach 4th grade special Ed, all my students are high functioning and I pull them for different subjects depending on what they need small group in.

I am having trouble structuring my writing block. I follow the regular 4th grade curriculum but modify as needed.

I just don't know if I'm making them write too much. I have been having them fill out a graphic organizer to organize their thoughts, then I give them an option of typing or handwriting a draft then we conference and I have them go over what we spoke about and depending on what needs to be edited rewrite/change for their final draft.

Is this too much? I don't want to overwork them but I do want them to practice writing so I'm not really sure if what I'm doing is right.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2016

With Common Core, writing falls on every teacher, so my answer is "no, you are not overworking them." I encourage using the computer since typing makes it easier to revise. That is a skill set that integrates tech and 21st century skills. Type on, and remember that there are never too many revisions!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 17, 2016

Sounds like you're giving your students what they need to succeed! :thumbs:

5. ST13

ST13 Companion

Jan 17, 2016

Okay thanks for your feedback!!

I was just worried for my low writers especially, I want them to practice but I don't want them to be doing busy work you know?

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 17, 2016

The support you are giving and teaching of pre writing strategies such as using graphic organizers and drafting isn't busy work....it's what writers do. What you are teaching them will help them with writing tasks across the curriculum! :)

7. ST13

ST13 Companion

Jan 18, 2016

Thank you! That is really good to hear!

8. ST13

ST13 Companion

Jan 21, 2016

So another question, how should I be grading their writing. Rubric? Or should I just be focused on what we talk about during conferences and how well they revise?

9. PositivelyAutism

PositivelyAutism Rookie

Jun 27, 2016

I don't think it's busy work either, especially if they can incorporate their interests and real world experience into the writing. Your writing block sounds good! Typing is also great to offer as an option.

I think that grading with a rubric is good. You might even work on teaching them to grade their own work with a rubric, so they can self-monitor their own writing.

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2016

Rubrics take the guess work out of the equation, and if you really want to do a good job, have the students grade themselves on the rubric, and compare with your assessment. The discrepancies can be a good place to start a conversation about possible changes.