Teaching writing in Kindergarten

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by zoey'smom, Dec 23, 2011.

1. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Dec 23, 2011

This is one area where I struggle. We don't have a set curriculum for writing. We do Journals, but not enough. How do you organize this time? I know model, model , model. How do you decide what to teach in each lesson? Any suggestions would be great. Help!

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 23, 2011

When I taught writing, I also didn't really have a program to follow. I've used OCR and HM, and neither program had a good writing component.

I've always taught writing through writer's workshop format. My minilessons were based on things that I saw in their writings. Sometimes, I would focus on the same skill/concept for a week in my minilessons, addressing it in different ways, etc. In the beginning of the school year, my minilesson would be more about how to use the journal and how to get ideas on what to write about. (there were many days I gave them topics, and other days were free writes).

Other minilessons focused on the use of periods, spaces, capital letters, commas, quotation marks, sounding out, good beginnings, good endings, staying on topic, adding descriptions, how to write creative stories, ing brothers, bossy e, how to use the classrom as a resource, how to use our picture dictionary, how to use our word wall to find how to spell words, how to draw a picture that matches your story, etc etc etc. And a lot of these minilesson ideas came as a result of observing them while they wrote and things that they needed to learn about and were ready to be taught.

And I modeled writing two times a day. The first writing took place first thing in the morning, a morning message. Sometimes I chose what to write about (more in the beginning of the year) and sometimes they chose (more toward the end of the year). In the beginning of the year I would do all of the writing, and as the year progresses, they would come and help me to write the message.

Then later on, before we would begin center/workshop time, I would model again, starting with the minilesson. After the minilesson, they would all read for five minutes (slowly built up to that time) and they would all write in their journals. After they were done, they would bring their journal to me or to my partner teacher and we would have them read it to us. Towards the end of the year, we would begin editing their journals, picking only one or two things to fix. We also taught them some editing marks such as the three lines under a letter to indicate it needs to be capitalized.

4. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Dec 28, 2011

In addition to modeling I used to do a lot of "shared writing" where the students and would compose things together. I currently teach third and my suggestion would be to focus on having them come up with complete sentences and avoid using the word "because" in a sentence.

5. SBP0429

SBP0429 Rookie

Jan 12, 2012

We do alot of integrating science and social studies into the writing curriculum. There are lots of things that kindergarteners can write about from science and social studies. We usually start by reading a book, and discussing the topic (animals, weather, seasons, etc. whatever it might be), and then we sometimes use thinking map chart one day to organize ideas (circle map, flow map, tree map), etc. and do that one day. And, the next use their thinking maps to organize their ideas and write a story (after I have modeled using the thinking map we created together as a class and writing a story from it). Then, my assistant and I have them read it to us, and we edit it. Some days we just model a story, and then have them write about the topic. For the rest of the year, we will be teaching mini-lessons throughout on spacing, capitalization, punctuation, etc. We will be getting into more of allowing them to write about whatever they want to (free-write) instead of always giving them a specific topic to write about. We will give them different ideas/topics that they can write about and have them pick one to free-write from. We also give them rubrics that we use to help them understand if they are using punctuation, spacing, capitalization, etc. Later, in the year, they will use these to evaluate themselves and eventually evaluate their friend's writing.

6. Chicago Heather

Chicago Heather Rookie

Jan 19, 2012

So interesting to see what everyone's saying in response!

7. MNTeacher

MNTeacher Rookie

Feb 9, 2012

great suggestions so far! We don't have a set curriculum either. I just have objectives to meet and its up to me to figure out how to teach them.

I also used this website to help with poetry units, writing non-fiction and fiction stories. I found it really helpful and refer to it often.

http://writingfix.com/workshop/jodieb.htm