**Teaching: Would You Do It Again!?**

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by SportsJunkie25, Apr 1, 2009.

1. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 9, 2009

I can't imagine doing anything else!!! :)

2. passandr

passandr New Member

Apr 9, 2009

I only teach five hours a week now. I actually teach in a synagogue religious school. But, I still love it. My point: For people who want to teach but also want to do something else, there are part-time avenues available.

3. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2009

Here it is!
    Pretty interesting replies.
    Rebel1

4. Anyalee

Anyalee Companion

Apr 20, 2009

There is no way on earth that I would do this job for no pay. I'd rather stay at home with my baby and make sure he can read and do subtraction before Kindergarten (unlike a lot of parents)!

5. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Apr 26, 2009

I am a career switcher - changed at 50. Worst pay for the most work, but I love it. If you're worried about whether you have enough credits in certain areas, just go to a local college with an adult degree program in teaching, and have them review your transcripts. They should be able to tell you what you need.

I think you have to be willing to move to an area where jobs are available. No matter where you teach, you have to deal with :
    * parents that are too involved or not involved enough,
    * kids who care more about their social lives than their schooling and vise-versa,
    * kids whose home life is horrible (reagardless of income level)

What I like best and why I'd never change?
    * Autonomy - yes I have standards to follow, meetings to attend, paperwork, etc. but I decide how to teach my content, when to repeat/adapt/skip...
    * Hours - I work 10 - 12 hour days, but am eager to get back at it the next morning. Why so many hours? I learned the first year, to try to do as much in school as I can before going home, I'm older and somewhat of a perfectionist, so my room is straightened every night, my desk cleared, my board set for the next day, catch up on email, do research, etc. I teach language arts so I have more papers to grade and that takes time.
    * It takes me forever to work out lesson plans - that is easing up year by year as I gain experience.
    * Summers - I don't have the whole summer off (don't know a teacher that does). I spend time reading middle school books to be up on what the kids are reading, re-work lesson plans for the upcoming year, read professional books, maybe take a seminar, reflect. Perhaps a more experienced teacher wouldn't spend as much time on these activities. I also land in the classroom from time to time (beyond the days I'm required to put in before the teaching year begins). Helps that I live fairly close to the school.
    * Learning, learning, learning - I love learning, I learn every day from and for my kids (and they are my kids from the day they walk into my room), I hope I'm able to instill that excitement about learning in my kids.
    * Rewards - can't beat the times a child thanks you for helping them understand something, the day a child's light bulb comes on, the days you laugh, the days you are reminded that there is hope.

Frustrations? Many. Especially the laziness and feelings of entitlement, but that is all a part of educating a child. You don't teach a subject, you teach a child.

Good luck in making your decision.

6. senseijoao

senseijoao Rookie

Apr 27, 2009

Activism

I'm switching to finance from H.S. Math. Here's why:

High visibility yet low status
    High stress yet low pay
    Driven by politics and fads yet vacant of time-tested facts
    Potentially dangerous yet unrewarding

The main ones are that I can't raise a family on it, and refuse to become a martyr.

7. ifightaliens

ifightaliens Rookie

May 5, 2009

I think I agree here. My main thing is that I don't feel that I was prepared in my college courses to do this work. I really didn't know what I was getting into until I was student teaching, and at that point it was too late to change majors.

That said, I teach guitar privately, and I find all the rewards that you guys are talking about in doing that. I will probably continue that avenue long after I've moved on from teaching in a high school.