Teaching without Technology

Discussion in 'General Education' started by rabyoga, Sep 16, 2012.

1. rabyoga

rabyoga Rookie

Sep 16, 2012

So, after spending a few hours making my lesson plans align with commo core, and making cool flipcharts.... My laptop crashes!!!:mad:
    I can't access anything!!! Yikes, I haven't taught without my Promethean Board for 2 years. I feel like I'm going through withdrawal.

Hopefully, our school's IT can fix things.

Just wanna vent... Thanks for listening.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 16, 2012

I have some chalk in my bookbag if you need it :)

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2012

I have had to teach without technology since our first day (August 27). I also have a Promethean Board and I have had one for 5 years.

I have a laundry list of technology woes.
    1. My laptop does not work. Somehow another teacher and I have the same I.P. address. A work order was sent to tech back on August 16th. They have yet to fix it.
    2. My iPad does not work. There is something wrong internally. It has been sent back to Apple.
    3. The airport (wireless router) in my room does not work. The power cord is dead. A work order was sent to tech on August 30th.
    4. My desktops didn't work. The drop was bad. They were fixed, but I don't have an adapter to hook my Promethean board to it.

It has been a long 3 weeks. :tired:

Anyway, you are not alone. And you can do it. It just won't be as fun.

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 16, 2012

Eeek! I'll put y'all on my prayer list! I know that I could teach without my bells & whistles, lol, but I sure would hate it!

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2012

It is especially awful when you use Class Dojo.

7. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Sep 16, 2012

I once forgot my laptop at home. I was freaking when I got to school. I had to resort back to basics that day. I started making sure my laptop was in my car at night before I go to bed.

8. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Sep 16, 2012

Ouch. Some things I could do without technology, but it saves so much time. For instance, in my PowerPoints, I already have the coordinate systems set up with scales so I can just go through the graphing instead of wasting time setting up an xy-plane....this way I can do many more examples.

Hopefully your IT is pretty good, and it won't last long!

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 16, 2012

I recently went through this. It CAN be done, but when you've prepped for technology to be there, it is worse than if you never had it to start.

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 16, 2012

When I started teaching eight years ago, I had a chalkboard and overhead projector.

Nowadays, I have an LCD Projector, Elmo, and iPad.

Yes--my (teaching) life is definitely a heck of a lot easier now. But I was a good teacher back then and I'm a good teacher now--with or without the technology.

11. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Sep 16, 2012

I miss technology. I have an overhead and I am the most hi-tech out of everyone on my side of the building for having one. I only have it because it is my personal item. I just wish I had the $ to make transparencies. Writing everything out is getting difficult. I cant make transparencies on our copy machines at work. They will jam the machine.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 16, 2012

TerriInCa, you might try making transparencies using a laser or inkjet printer. It takes forever - the transparencies print slowly and there may be a long pause between sheets while the ink dries - but the results can be pretty good.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2012

I bet that an old fashioned, blackboard and chalk lesson or two would get their attention, simply because those lessons appear to be so rare.

14. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 17, 2012

I feel your pain as it's frustrating when you want to use something and cannot. I teach in a trailer (a portable to be PC) and we have no internet.

We do, however, have industrial sized coackroaches. But no internet

15. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Sep 30, 2012

I went from having a SmartBoard, ELMO and Smart Slate last year...to an overhead projector this year. It stinks! But what is even more frustrating is our malfunctioning copiers. We have three of them in the building, and we are encouraged to print to them from our computers. However, they rarely work for days upon days. And then, there will be a small window of time (maybe 10-15 minutes) where they DO work, needless to say word spreads quickly and everyone frantically rushes to print all of the things they've tried to print while it wasn't working...and then the copier blows up and no one can use it until the technician comes. It's very frustrating to try and prepare students to be "21st century learners" when they can't even get a copy of a worksheet in their hands! :banghead:

16. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 30, 2012

I think not having technology is one thing, but counting on it, and then not working is 100 times worse.
    When I subbed for a floating sped. teacher I had to teach one science class/day. I made a Powerpoint (I like it because I don't have to remember what comes after what, and it provides visuals), I even made sure I took the laptop and connected it to the projector the day before, because I was told they're always having issues. Everything worked, no problem.
    On the actual day the laptop kept blacking out, had to reboot it 5 times, then when I finally clicked on showing the slide show for PP, it blacked out again. It was so frustrating. It was 10 minutes before I gave up. It wasn't wasted time from the students' point of view because I gave them a warm up to work on, and when they were finished, I gave up on technology.
    I was upset because of the wasted time I put in for making the PP.
    The next time I didn't even rely on it, and it was ok. All I had was the board and marker, it was fine, but I didn't like it, because I like to write a lot of things down, and there wasn't enough room, my handwriting is not the best and I don't like to turn my back on students while I write.

I'll be subbing for this teacher quite a lot this month, but at least I can prepare teaching the old fashioned way.

What was really frustrating was that the actual classroom teacher who was in the classroom had a computer, with internet access, easily connect to the projector, but she said I couldn't do it, because she's always working on her computer.
    She wasn't even in the classroom (not once out of the 3 days), but of course I respected her request and didn't even say anything. She's not into technology, so she probably thought I was gonna break her system and she couldn't fix it :(

I am happy with a projector and computer. Even happier with a docucam. even happier with internet, just in case I want to use multimedia, or look up something. I wasn't trained on Smartboard, so it's not a must for me.

17. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 30, 2012

I've done it both ways. My year-long student teaching was done in a room with only 3 student computers...and they SOMETIMES worked. :haha: I had to get really creative then.

Now my classroom is totally tricked out. Promethean Board, 4 desktops, 4 laptops, 3 iPads, a color printer/scanner, and I'm working on an Elmo. It's super amazing to work with. It has allowed me to present so much more efficiently....and assess more efficiently! It would suck to go back to nothing. But you can do it! :hugs: All the kids need is a piece of paper and a writing utensil.

18. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 30, 2012

Ouch! That would be difficult to me as well. Do you have another computer at school that you can use? Are your files on a flash drive where you can use them?

I am so dependent on my computer that years ago when mine died at 6pm at night, I was at the store within an hour. The news was...well it wasn't going to be able to be fixed. I bought a new laptop that night. I stayed up late transferring my files from a flash drive..although I did lose one week's worth of files :-(. the next day, I was using the SMARTBOARD just fine. I hope you are able to still use technology someway somehow.

19. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 30, 2012

^Ha, that would so be me. During student teaching my laptop got stolen and instead of filing a police report I was immediately off to the Apple store. Must. Have. Computer. :p

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2012

That would stink...technology aside, it would be like dropping all of your lessons and materials into a huge rain puddle!

21. cometclear

cometclear Rookie

Oct 1, 2012

I wish I could trade places with you. You can have all my gadgets. I would love it.

22. TamaraF

TamaraF Companion

Oct 3, 2012

I love my projector, but since I live in an area where the power cuts out regularly I've learned (the hard way!) to always have a "technology free" back up lesson ready.
    Also....without technology we wouldn't be inflicted with spam like the guy who commented ahead of me....might not be a bad thing to miss out on!

23. cometclear

cometclear Rookie

Oct 3, 2012

Perhaps, dear, you should wait to hear my explanation before responding with obligatory "troll" accusations. I'm assuming that's the term you actually meant to use.

If you ever have the misfortune of teaching in a 1:1 school, as I do, you will quickly realize that it brings with it greater liabilities than assets. My word, we cannot even keep the staff off their IPads and phones during staff meetings, yet we expect 16 year-olds to stay on task during classes with their laptops. The kids long ago figured out how to do an end-run around any filters guarding against Facebook. Without question, the most productive days are those in which we stray from the technology and return to activities, lessons and discussions using those old relics - paper, pen, open mouths and open brains. At some level, some of the kids understand this and have even articulated this idea.

I was struck by a story some months ago of a school in Silicon Valley, attended by the children, ironically, of Silicon Valley titans in which the classrooms have been returned to chalkboards, books, paper and pencils. Those students have no idea what a gift they have been given.

Now, I have plenty more to say on this, or would you prefer to just lob names at me?

24. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 3, 2012

I'm all for technology, like i said before, but I also need a white board! I knew this before, but it was just confirmed this week. This week I'm in a classroom with a computer, internet, SmartBoard and projector. Now I can't do anything fancy with the smart board because I haven't been trained on, so I just use it for the projector.
    There is a teeny tiny portable white board, barely enough for the objectives to fit.
    I need the regular sized whiteboard to write objectives on, and to illustrate the things I'm trying to explain. i have the Powerpoint up, but sometimes I need to be able to quickly draw something so they know what I mean.

25. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2012

Linguist, it's very simple to use the SmartBoard. I wasn't trained either, but it's easy to do this basics, and I googled for more advanced operations. Would you like some help? :)

26. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 3, 2012

Yes, please!! :) I've seen it work, and have used it before when it was turned on and all ready to go. I guess what I don't know how to get it set up.

27. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2012

I'll PM you. :)

28. TamaraF

TamaraF Companion

Oct 4, 2012

Cometclear:
    There was another comment in between yours and mine. It was clearly spam. One sentence was repeated over and over for an entire page. I reported it, and obviously it got removed.

29. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Oct 4, 2012

If a world wide virus wiped out all our technology overnight would I miss it? Probably for about 2 days and then I would become the go to guy as I own the only black board in the school! My boss has been teaching in my room. He is 25 years younger than me and he has been so taken with the board that he is arranging to have the roller white board in the stockroom converted to black so that he can have it in his room. I am hiding the chalk, he can order his own!

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 4, 2012

I'm hijacking briefly...

Which illustrates neatly why the moderators strongly prefer that spamming or trolling posts get reported but not commented on: moderators don't always have the time to check for references downstream, so to speak.

End of hijack.

31. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 4, 2012

There is a teacher at one of the schools I sub at who is definitely high tech. He has the usual (computer, Smartboard), brought in surround sound speakers, and get this: a Bluetooth adapter which connects to a tiny object which can reflect an infrared version of a keyboard anywhere (for example on a desk), you can type on it, and it will be shown on the Smartboard.
    Obviously I don't know how to explain it better :) because I forgot what it's called, but he said it was $50!! He can also walk around the room and has a portable keyboard / mouse, that is not bigger that a cell phone. I guess you could just use an Ipad (I think), but I thought it was pretty cool).

32. BradleyStacks

BradleyStacks Rookie

Oct 4, 2012

Well that really happens. We need to have back ups though so that when the other can't be used we can still continue working. Btw, is your laptop already fixed?