Teaching with the former teacher

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teachersped12, Aug 22, 2012.

1. teachersped12

teachersped12 New Member

Aug 22, 2012

Hello everyone, I am new to the forums. I am lucky enough to have just been hired as a Special Ed teacher at a HS in upstate NY. I will be in a self contained classroom.

I was informed that the position that I have taken over was a leave replacement last year taught by a teacher who was a TA in the class the year before. He has two years of experience in that room - one as the TA one as the lead teacher. The P told me that he will be returning to the role of TA this year. Another TA told me that he was quite upset/frustrated that he did not get my job and was very vocal to the faculty at the end of the school year that he was going to get my position.

The other TA told me that he is very well liked by the students, so my question is how can I establish authority in the class and still utilize him as a resource and not have him take over control like he had all last year. I don't think it is fair to me or him if we establish a co-teacher role and feel like this is my time to step up as the lead teacher and just let him assist. I don't want to have any conflicts with him and don't want our relationship to negatively impact any student learning. Any advice?

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 22, 2012

This sounds like a difficult decision. I think admin dropped the ball by not putting him in a different room. Sorry you're stuck in the middle.

4. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Aug 22, 2012

it is a difficult situation. It sounds as if the classroom assistant is a fully certified teacher. That can be a big plus in a self-contained room. I think the admin dropped the ball too. But it appears that is the situation. Firstly, I would not anticipate problems. I wouldn't listen to gossip either. (well I would as I am human, but I would try to downplay the gossip)

If this person is coming back as a TA after being rejected by the admin for a full time teaching job, I think there is more to the story.

Hopefully, you will meet with him and can get a feel on how to professionaly approach the situation. The fact that the students like him is a big plus for this population.

Good luck!!!

5. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Aug 23, 2012

Congratulations! I think you need to take the first few days and really establish yourself as the teacher--both with the kids and with the adults. I think having clear lesson plans and management will give less opportunity to correct you, or usurp your power. Use the TA as a resource to help reach some of the students who are having behavior and academic issues.

6. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 23, 2012

Well liked doesn't always equate to authority. This may be why he wasn't hired for the position.