Teaching with no voice?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Nov 18, 2018

I have had a sore throat since Wednesday but I wasn't sick. This weekend, I can barely talk in the mornings and I'm not sure what do to! I have thought about going in and typing on the board and asking the kids to be quiet and find something silently for them to do. However, my classroom management isn't that great so I don't think my students would actually listen if I asked them to be quiet! I don't think I can teach the lesson that I had planned to teach (which would be me talking a lot). I don't want to call in so close to break but I'm not sure what to do if I can't talk tomorrow!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  3. reg

reg Rookie

Nov 18, 2018

I've realized that I cannot keep on top of my rowdy students if I'm not at 100% so I stay home on days like that now. I worry too much about being inconsistent with my expectations, letting them get away with things I shouldn't because I can't physically manage them.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 18, 2018

You might be pleasantly surprised if you go in without a voice and use your students for your voice. Give them the job of making announcements, giving simple instructions, telling them to keep the class quiet...

5. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Nov 18, 2018

If it's really bad, I would stay home. Otherwise, Cepacol is a life-saver. I had a sore throat for about a week last month, and Cepacol helped me make it through the week.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 18, 2018

I lose my voice once or twice a year and I've often found that the kids have really risen to the occasion. I do change things up to minimize how much I have to use my voice, and I write/type a lot of instructions, but it has been manageable.

7. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Nov 18, 2018

Bleh...I feel like I am getting even more sick. I have no idea how sub plans work at my school though! I know how to call out but I think I need to email/text a teacher on my floor to make sure my plans are there. I just feel bad because I don't have copies made or anything.

8. flairpen

flairpen Rookie

Nov 18, 2018

I noticed this with my class last year. I whispered everything I spoke for most of the week and the kids were great. I wrote everything on the board and students volunteered to read instructions. I wrote answers to questions down and the students would read these too.

9. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Nov 19, 2018

I called out today and I am so glad I did! My voice sounds TERRIBLE and I'm feeling sick. I just hope that I am better tomorrow. I didn't realize how stressful it was getting sub plans together as a teacher.I'm sure it is much worse for elementary teachers. I wrote up sub plans last night and I had to text a friend to make copies, etc. I just felt bad because she made 200 copies for me in the morning! I am bringing her a coffee tomorrow.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 19, 2018

I hope you feel better soon; sounds like you made the right decision about staying home! Writing sub plans is so time consuming! I think that's why many of us feel that it's easier to go in to school even if we aren't feeling 100% than it is planning to be out.

11. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Nov 20, 2018

Seriously, get a handheld ring bell. It works for me when my students get a little bit too cantankerous. They know not to continue when I ring it because the sparks will fly if they don’t comply.

12. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Nov 20, 2018

This was me last week! I wasn't feeling terrible, I just didn't have a voice. I still did my lesson, which happened to be a lecture that day. I think my kids felt really bad for me, because they were better behaved than when I have a voice! :rofl: