Teaching with Love and Logic

Discussion in 'Behavior Management Archives' started by sevenplus, Aug 11, 2006.

1. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2006

I just started reading this book as I want a new approach to discipline in my classroom. I'd love to hear from teachers who use this approach. Has it been effective for you? Any kindergarten or primary teachers use this?

3. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Aug 11, 2006

I've read all the books and attended a love and logic workshop. I only have subbing experience, so I have only used the ideas on a limited basis myself. I have seen experienced educators use it and I think it is fantastic!! It has to be done with empathy or else you really just come off as a jerk. It makes a lot of sense to me; I like how it stresses letting the kids do the work and letting natural consequences take over. With all the talk about teaching kids to be problem solvers, it really fits right in.

4. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Aug 12, 2006

I'm trying it as a sub at the middle and high schools.

I have a problem coming up with questions as responses, especially with tattling at the middle level.

Example:

Student: Those boys were making fun of me.
    Me: Wow, that stinks. I hate it when people do that. What are you going to do?
    Student: Can I punch them?
    Me: What might happen though?
    Student: I'd get in trouble.
    Me: So what else could you do about it?
    Student: Kick them.
    Me: I think that's work out the same way. What else could you do?
    Student: Slap them.

And so on, and so on...

It didn't seem to be working. I ended up moving the tattling student. Was that a failure?

5. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Aug 12, 2006

I think that's a great start! I probably would have just specified, after the first part: " So what else could you do about it that does not involve physical violence?" Then the student would say: "I dunno." and you would say: "That's too bad that you don't know. Why don't you think about it and let me know when you come up with some ideas."
    That's what I'd do.:p

6. Aug 12, 2006

I teach 5th grade, but my whole school implemented it last year, - some more than others. I would encourage only doing a few of the things to start and get those practiced before trying other items with love and logic, otherwise it is way too overwhelming. I started with phrases that I had written down on post it notes, and went from there. I had some major EBD kids in my room last year and without love and logic, I would have gone insame!

7. Jaicie

Jaicie Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

Love and Logic rocks! :) I started using the Love and Logic philosophy this past school year with my 1st and 2nd graders with GREAT results! It was pretty hard at first. (I'd taught for 7 years using the traditional behavior management techniques, and started my 8th year using Love and Logic.)

I agree completely with Timberwolvesmn. Just try a few things at a time so as not to get overwhelmed. I also made a "cheat sheet" of phrases to remind myself to use L&L language, which was really helpful. (I'll do the same again this fall.) By December I was really getting the hang of it and so were my students! By the way, this group of students was my most challenging class ever ... several very needy children with a variety of behavioral and emotional issues, 60% are at the poverty level. I'm really glad I started using L&L with them in particular, or I would've gone insane, as Timberwolvesmn wrote! Now that I'm using L&L, I'll never go back to my old ways. I only wish I'd discovered it sooner.

You might like to check out loveandlogicforum.com. It's a message board for parents and teachers.

~Jaicie :)

8. dfwteacher

dfwteacher New Member

Aug 15, 2006

I would lead the 'tattler' to the option of chosing to 'take a deep breath and ignore him' by telling a story of how I once had the same problem and decided to think of happy things when people were bothering me..etc....Now the student considers that as a new option for future tattling, which she probally will do again soon. Once she begins to accept that as an obtion the tattling should subside.