teaching with food- ideas

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by cheer, Mar 11, 2008.

1. cheer

cheer Comrade

Mar 11, 2008

My students are very motivated by using food in their math, science/SS. and language arts lessons. I am thinking of doing a seminar on the subject and would love to hear some of your great ideas.If you are willing to share I would greatly appreciate it. If you know of any books made on such a topic that would be great too. I have used "Munchy Math" from scholastic before and it has been great. Thanks for all your awesome ideas and help.:help:

3. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Mar 11, 2008

I use skittles or m&m's to teach graphing. On Valentine's Day, I changed it to the conversation hearts. I have used Little Debbie cakes and Hershey bars to teach fractions--there are books to go along with the Hershey bars. I've used candy to teach supply and demand. I try not to use it too much, because then the food police come down on you, plus it loses its novelty. It's a good activity to throw in on occassion to keep things interesting, IMO.

4. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Mar 11, 2008

My kids LOVE using pizza referencing for fractions. Great idea for a seminar! :)

5. NCP

NCP Comrade

Mar 11, 2008

We are doing a unit on Japan and I am making "sushi" from fruit roll ups, rice krispy treats and gummy worms. You lay the roll-ups out and put the rice krispy treats on top of them. Then lay the worms out and roll the whole thing up and slice.

We are also going to eat popcorn with chopsticks for practice.

6. cheer

cheer Comrade

Mar 11, 2008

thanks keep the ideas coming

wow great ideas! keep them coming

7. shirld

shirld Rookie

Mar 12, 2008

Definitely use M&Ms or something similar for graphing... they always work well as there are many different ways they can be graphed (by colour, by total number in the packets, graphing individually and the class as a whole, or in groups).

The Northern Territory in Australia had a whole unit of maths that they put out in the early 1990's that had to do with lolly snakes, it had activities like how far they would stretch, graphing with the colours of the snakes in the packet, seeing packets of the same size all had the same amount in them, comparing the amount of lollies in a large packet to the equivalent weight in small packets.

For science food is always good to show changes and states of matter, with how things can go from solids to liquids to gases etc, or showing how cooking, melting, freezing etc change a food and how they can be reversible or irreversible changes.

Hope these help you.

8. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Mar 12, 2008

hershey bars are nice neat little sections to show fractions too