Teaching with DUI

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by lindseyfloyd, Aug 1, 2016.

1. lindseyfloyd

lindseyfloyd Guest

Aug 1, 2016

I was arrested and charged with a DWI in Virginia 3 months ago. I know I made a mistake. I feel horrible, so please spare me the "soap box" comments. I go to court in the next few months and am working with my lawyer on a plea bargain to reduce the charge. I was recently recommended for a teaching job in North Carolina. I had disclosed on my application that I had a "pending misdemeanor traffic violation." I have not had my background check yet and am worried that if it shows up, I won't be able to get the job. Has anyone had any experience with this in NC or can offer any advice?

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

4. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Aug 1, 2016

I don't know how the procedures read in North Carolina, but I do know that no one is perfect, and probably there are those in the school system who have made the same mistake without being caught. Everyone makes mistakes, and it seems that you have made the next important step, learning from your mistake, and thankfully it wasn't more serious than being arrested. Whether it would help you professionally or not, I don't know, but it would certainly help you and others to take the proactive step; find ways to help others avoid the same mistake.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2016

Is a DWI classified as a minor traffic violation in NC?

My feeling is that if this shows up on your background check (and I think it probably will), you will likely be deemed non-competitive and not be hired.

Really, you're going to need to talk to an attorney who knows about education employment law.

vickilyn likes this.
  6. Mr.Literature

Mr.Literature Companion

Aug 1, 2016

I won't say that you are completely out of luck. I know of a teacher at my school with multiple DUIs. Whether she got these before or after she was hired, I don't know. I only found out about this because kids were mentioning it. How this stuff gets passed around, I have no clue. But I looked it up and was able to find her mugshots easily. If you are passed up, then just take it as a learning experience and wait a while. No one here is a lawyer though (that I know of). That's the person you need to talk to.

7. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Aug 1, 2016

I was a former prosecutor, and I agree totally with the last part of your post. Every state is different in terms of how they handle professional licensure. In Illinois, they leave the decision to the individual districts. Missouri usually does the same except in exceptional cases where safety/security is at issue. You need to talk to someone in the state who knows educational law, because there's no "one size fits all" answer to your question.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 1, 2016

:yeahthat:

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2016

I'll echo the advice to consult a lawyer. I think what may be most worrisome is that this was not something that happened years ago; you can't claim "young and foolish and I've learned from my mistakes".

Bunnie, Caesar753 and Mr.Literature like this.
  10. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Aug 2, 2016

I don't have any specific advice, but I would take care in terms of what I said online (in communication with others), including: texts sent to others, discussion boards, twitter, etc. With something like DUI, there are specialized attorneys who know the in's and out's of what you are talking about, and can probably work to mitigate (if not clear) your offense... at least in certain lights (like criminal record).

vickilyn likes this.
  11. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2016

Always good advice, because people DO love to talk, and the juicier the story the better, right?

12. msbeetle

msbeetle New Member

Aug 4, 2016

Agreed. I actually had a DUI over twenty years ago, when I had just turned 21. It is so embarrassing to disclose it to a potential employer, especially in this profession. However, in my case, it was a long time ago, another lifetime really, and other than embarrassment, it hasn't caused me any problems getting hired as a teacher in 3 different schools. That doesn't help you now I know, but in time, it will truly be a part of your past. As long as you make sure that it is!