Teaching while Sick (mostly a rant)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by applesnap, Sep 13, 2015.

1. applesnap

applesnap Rookie

Sep 13, 2015

Hi everyone. Over the weekend I came down with a cold that's making me feel gross. It's only the third week of school! I can't believe I got sick so fast.

I teach high school, and some of my students have a test on Wednesday. All the teachers in my department use the same tests on the same day (we are required to, for fairness).

I have to go in tomorrow and finish teaching the material, or the students won't be ready for their test. I hope I won't lose my voice, or it'll be really difficult to teach at all!

However, I share classrooms with 3 other teachers and I'm worried they will be ticked off if I come in and start spreading germs around.

I also managed to pull a muscle in my neck and can't turn my head to the right at all. Plus I have lunch supervision tomorrow, ughhhh.

I mostly just wanted to rant. How do you handle it when you are sick but still feel you have to work? I feel like this is the one time where a desk job that I could sit still at would be preferable.

3. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 14, 2015

If it's just me miserable, I suck it up and work. If I'm contagious, I stay home and figure something out.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 14, 2015

I rarely feel like I have to teach if I'm sick. If I'm sick, I know it's much better for me to take one day off to recover then run myself down and be sick for even longer. If I do, I keep the day light with mostly independent work. I warn the kids I'm not feeling great. They're pretty good about it. I have a 45-50 minute commute so sometimes it's the drive that really gets to me when I'm sick.

5. melnm

melnm Companion

Sep 14, 2015

I suck it up and teach. I lost my voice last year for over a week, one of those days was a field trip day. I've already had a cold this year and felt pretty miserable one of those days. I just try to get extra rest at home.

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 14, 2015

If you're contagious, stay home!!! I don't understand Americans and our need to work when we are physically ill. If I'm your co-worker, I would much rather pick up some extra tasks and duties to cover for you over getting sick myself.

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 14, 2015

[​IMG]

There ya go...