Teaching while pregnant...What shoes to wear?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by kimdavid1981, Aug 9, 2008.

1. kimdavid1981

kimdavid1981 New Member

Aug 9, 2008

I have just entered into my 3rd trimester and I am looking for comfortable but professional shoes to wear while I am teaching. Any recommendations?

3. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Aug 9, 2008

In all honesty I wore black slippers with the rubber sole. I worked through my seventh month pregnant with twins. My ankles were GIANT! The only shoes that fit and look somewhat professional, believe it or not, were the black slippers I bought. Flipflops made my back and feet ache, tennis shoes were to constricting, and normal dress shoes wouldn't even fit on my feet.

If you don't yet have swollen ankles I'd recommend tennis shoes with nice thick soles. I spoke with my principal before wearing them and she was absolutely okay with it.

The slippers looked just like normal dressy type shoes from afar with my black pants and the soles were extra thick and comfy.

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 9, 2008

I subbed for a teacher who went out on maternity leave (& delivered 2 days later!), and she wore anything she could that was comfortable. She also had problems with swollen feet & legs.

5. paislie98

paislie98 Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

I am also dealing with this. I am due four weeks after school starts. I plan on wearing tennis shoes most days because the support is great and I just have the laces really loose. My feet are starting to get huge too and when they are really swollen my tennis shoes don't even go on. But my principal said flip flops were fine to wear too but they hurt my feet after awhile.

6. bballlady

bballlady Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

I was pregnant during the winter, spring, and summer. I wore whatever was comfortable...closed toed, small heels, open toed, sandals, slipons. Only you know what's best for you.

7. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Aug 9, 2008

Two of the teachers in my grade were pregnant last year at the same time. Both of them would show up in high heeled pumps and boots all the time. I asked them why they wore them, and they said that their doctors had recommended heels to help support their backs. Do I get it? No. But then again, I've never been pregnant.

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 9, 2008

Perhaps Dr. Scholl's or Aerosoles? Something VERY comfortable like ballet slippers work, also, as someone mentioned. Make sure you have a cushy sole and sides that can expand easily enough. I purchased some soft shoes through Payless lately; perhaps you can look there.

I don't know if I could do the high-heeled pumps, pregnant or not!!! :lol:

9. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2008

Me either lol!

10. phillygirl

phillygirl Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

I wore tennis shoes with my first child, however with my second I wore Aerosoles and dfsport ( BJ's wholesale). High heels never in a million years.:lol:

11. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2008

Granted I have very little experience or expertise in the matter, but all I can say is the @#$% with professional and wear whatever is comfortable. I'm sorry, but the fact that you are still coming in to work and teaching in your third trimester gives you license to wear whatever you **** well please. And that doesn't go for just footwear either.

If flip flops, crocs, slippers, or swim fins are what it takes to get through the day, then that's what you should wear.

Anyone who calls into question the choice of footwear made by a woman in her third trimester of pregnancy should be flogged forced to wear six-inch heeled steel toes combat boots on a hike through the grand canyon.

12. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 10, 2008

Whatever fits! Seriously, I was so swollen with my ds that I wore flip flops every day after it got warm enough. With my daughter, it was mid winter so I couldn't do that. I ended up buying ugly black men's house slippers with a rubber sole b/c that's the only thing that would fit my fat puffy feet. I fell @ 20 weeks thanks to wedge sandals, so flats became the best. After falling the day before T-giving & spraining both ankles, I bought the slippers...they were the only thing in the store that fit over the elastic bandages & support. Then they were my staple.

Find something that is comfortable, supports you, and fits. Don't sacrifice your safety & your babe's for professional shoes. :2cents:

13. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Aug 10, 2008

Although I am WAY too old to be pregnant, I am diabetic and do have difficulty with my feet-they are often swollen and painful. I order shoes thru a catalog called Footsmart. They have all types of
    'theraputic shoes' -even theraputic Crocs, plus shoes that are soft and stretchy, made for swollen feet. They have great service and quick delivery.

14. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Aug 11, 2008

15. Cyansmom

Cyansmom Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

I taught while pregnant last year and I wore runners... alot!

I know its not dressy but I had to be comfortable!

Good luck!

16. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

I worked until my due dates for 4 pregnancies. Naturalizer makes very comfortable shoes that are supportive yet attractive.

17. mrsjam525

mrsjam525 Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

I worked until the last day of school last year` and had my son one week later. I wore flip flops alot but they became a problem during a fire drill (my classroom is on the fourth floor) but clarks(bit priceybut they last long ) makes some very comfortable shoes that are professional looking, but like someone else said the fact that you coming to work in your third trimester gives you the right to wear whatever you want.