Teaching Vocabulary

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by omgpenguins, Jun 8, 2013.

1. omgpenguins

omgpenguins Rookie

Jun 8, 2013

Hey everyone, I've always been interested in this style of teaching, but I haven't really looked into it in depth. All I know is that it is really hands-on and student-guided. Anyway, I am currently tutoring a child, who is entering 1st grade, in vocabulary. With it being so specific, I've been racking my brain to come up with exciting and fun lessons for her.

Currently, I've been reading her books with targeted tier 2 words, then creating "maps" out of these words that include the definition, a picture, a sentence, and synonyms. I know this technique can only go so far before I start to bore her.

So, I am coming to you all for some ideas, especially how it may be approached through this type of teaching philosophy. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you! :)

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2013

I would talk about the words before you read them, then embed them in some phrases first and talk about the phrases and what they might mean. They can be phrases from the reading. After that, read the passage and then embed the phrases in conversations, etc. Then revisit them in readings, etc again.

Repeated exposure over a long period of time is really the only thing that I've found to help with vocabulary issues at this young age. At an older age, I do different things, but with this age, that's what I've found works best.

4. omgpenguins

omgpenguins Rookie

Jun 10, 2013

Thanks for the response! That is what I have been doing, but I was just wondering if anyone had any other ideas for games or something more hands-on that can make things more fun for her. I'd like to break things up instead of only teaching her vocabulary that way. I'm just afraid it will quickly become boring especially since it's one on one for an extended period of time.

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2013

How old is this child?

Another thing you can do with older children is to look at the meanings of affixes and bases in words. For example, the prefix pre- means before, the suffix -able means able to do. Those kinds of things are really only appropriate to do with older children like 4th grade and above. It really helps vocabulary.

6. omgpenguins

omgpenguins Rookie

Jun 11, 2013

She's 5, I believe.

7. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jun 12, 2013

Ahhhh......okay, then the affixes won't help really. Exposure is the key for her, I believe. Over and over and over again. How's her reading?

8. omgpenguins

omgpenguins Rookie

Jun 19, 2013

She is pretty fluent, and great at sounding out/reading words, but comprehension is sometimes an issue, so I've been working on that too.

9. mtiroly

mtiroly Rookie

Jun 21, 2013

Something that comes to mind that is applicable for both new vocabulary and building comprehension are what are sometimes referred to as "Command Cards." Each card/paper has a short command on it that the child then has to perform. This can be simple like, "hop," or can be more complex, "Walk to the door and knock 3 times." This helps build that concept that words MEAN something. I don't know what kind of vocabulary you are working on, obviously you need to be able to have some verbs you can use, but thought of this and wondered if it might help.
    Best,
    Marissa