Teaching Visualizing

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by colie, Jun 17, 2008.

1. colie

colie Companion

Jun 17, 2008

Hello third grade teachers!

I'm looking for a bit of advice on how to teach visualizing using a Patricia Polacco book (In Enzo's Splendid Gardens or Ginger and Petunia). I mentioned the books only if you may be familiar with these ones.

I have a demo lesson on Friday so any general advice regarding teaching strategies that work for teaching visualizing would be helpful.

A rough draft of my plan is to introduce/teach visualizing. I will talk about the benefits and how good readers use this strategy.

Next I will model a paragraph or two for the students. I was thinking I would read a sentence, then model what pictures I saw in my head that helped me understand the text. I will do that for all of the sentences in the paragraph or page. My goal is to teach the students that good readers visualize or play a movie in their mind while reading.

Then, I will tell the students..I am going to tell you a story. As I say each part, I want you to make a picture of it in your head, like a movie. Then you're going to tell it back to me. I will read them a passage that lends itself to vivid visualizations. This will be the guided practice part of the lesson.

For independent work I will re-read the passage and the students will be playing the movie in their mind of the words I read. Using their senses to help them comprehend the text.

What do you think?? :help::help: please be as honest, I need a job!!!

3. luvcrayons

luvcrayons Rookie

Jun 17, 2008

This is the poster I have from school. It is a good visual aid for the strategy you are going to teach. Maybe it will help.

faculty.reinhardt.edu/schultz/DOCUMENTS/pdf%20posters/Microsoft%20Word%20-%20VISUALIZING.pdf

4. colie

colie Companion

Jun 17, 2008

luvcrayons,

Thank you. I am going to create a poster similar to this using chart paper. This helped me 'visualize' they way I would like to map it out lol.

If you have any other suggestions/advice that you have found helpful with this topic I would love to hear about it.

5. luvcrayons

luvcrayons Rookie

Jun 17, 2008

We've had our students look at different paragraphs and then describe their "movie"(from their minds) to students that had not read the same paragraph. Does that make sense? That way you can check for understanding of the strategy. I hope this helps.

Just to let you know, my college was very reading focused. If you go to reinhardt.edu/PSOE/schultzjulie.htm and enter the website then go to courses and choose 344 course materials there are things for all seven strategies.

6. colie

colie Companion

Jun 18, 2008

Thanks, I liked the rubrics that were provided for me to be aware of things I need to do when teaching the strategy.

What do you think of this:

The kids will be sitting in their assigned seats on the carpet. I will teach the strategy. Then I will model it. I plan to read a sentence then do a think aloud of what I see in my mind as the 'movie' is playing. Then read another sentence, do the same thing until I finish a paragraph or passage of the story.

Guided practice:
    I will tell the kids that they should think about the text I read as a movie playing in their head to use their senses to 'see' the text I read. Then I will read another part of the story, stopping again after each sentence so they can share their visaulizations. I will do this for a paragraph or idea that is very descriptive in the story.

Independent practice:

I will read another part of the story. I won't stop this time, I will ask the children to draw a sketch as I read the text. Then they will write a description to their sketch/response to visualization.

Finally the students will share ideas.

Sorry this is so long. How does it sound? Do you think it is clear?

Thank you for input!!

7. luvcrayons

luvcrayons Rookie

Jun 18, 2008

I think that sounds like a fantastic idea. I love it. My professor would be so proud.

8. colie

colie Companion

Jun 18, 2008

Ok great!!! The teacher I would be potentially filling in for (its a 6 month leave replacement position) thinks its a fantastic lesson too!

9. luvcrayons

luvcrayons Rookie

Jun 18, 2008

Good Luck! Let me know how it goes.:)

10. colie

colie Companion

Jun 19, 2008

I'm gonna make a poster shortly on the computer/chart paper. Is the following age appropriate and a good way to introduce the strategy?

Visualizing

As you read try to make a mental image using your senses of what is being read. Its like watching a movie of what you read!
    • allows readers to create mental images using their senses
    • enables readers to place themselves in the story
    • stimulates imaginative thinking
    • heightens engagement with text
    • brings job to readers!

On the actual poster I will add graphics to make it kid friendly. What do you think?

11. luvcrayons

luvcrayons Rookie

Jun 20, 2008

I just saw your post. I think that is great. When do you present it? Don't forget to let me know.

12. colie

colie Companion

Jun 20, 2008

I presented today (Friday). I was actually subbing the whole day for this potential position. The principal and team teachers came in to observe.

I edited the above post on chart paper. The students and I read the chart paper together. Then I asked some questions and provided a couple of examples.

Next, I modeled the strategy. Using a book that is part of their current author study.

We did guided practice together. ( I read a sentence then asked them questions about what they visualized in their head.)

Next I explained the independent practice to them. They listened to me read another section. While they listened they sketched a picture. I gave them the option to draw one picture, several sequenced pictures, or they could label their pictures. There was a writing piece that asked the students to write a reaction to their illustration and reaction to the story.

The principal and teachers left after I finished reading. The students shared their work with the class when they finished. I asked them how they would teach the reading strategy to others not in the class?....one student said that it makes reading more fun to picture an image in your head!!!!

Before the end of the day the teachers commented that it was a nice lesson and good job. The principal told me that she is going to decide next week (maybe when the teacher I would be replacing has input) and put it to bed.

Sorry so long. Keep your fingers crossed for me!!

13. luvcrayons

luvcrayons Rookie

Jun 20, 2008

I will keep my fingers crossed. I've been wondering all day how it went. It sounds like you really got the information across to them. I can't wait to hear next week. Do you know how many are up for the position? Gosh, I hate that you have to wait.

14. colie

colie Companion

Jun 20, 2008

I know others were interviewed. I'm not sure how many ppl taught a demo lesson. The teacher I would potentially be replacing (for childcare) that I also subbed for today per her request. And have been in communication with all week said, "Its not a sure bet, I know others have been interviewed, but I would like it". She was helpful with my planning as she read aloud the book I used today for visualization. I mentioned the other teachers positive comments, 'good job, nice lesson'.

Now I sit, wait, and hope. I'm trying to stay positive because I'm sure that the principal would want to consider the teacher's opinion. Ok..truthfully in the interview Monday, the principal told me she wanted to make a recommendation to the board yesterday...it worked out to do the demo today because I was already scheduled to be in the classroom. So I thought she would have told me today.

well - thats my waiting game! lol thanks for reading this luvcrayons, i have to learn to make short posts!

15. luvcrayons

luvcrayons Rookie

Jun 25, 2008

Hi there,
    Have you heard anything yet?

16. colie

colie Companion

Jun 26, 2008

Hi no, unfortunately I haven't heard anything. I sent the teacher a thank you email. She responded 2 days ago saying the kids loved the book and it sounded like a great lesson.

I am going to email the principal tomorrow :confused:

Thanks!