Teaching Typing program

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MsMaggs, Sep 9, 2010.

1. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Sep 9, 2010

I teach Technology Lab as an elective at our school and I'd like to teach the students how to type correctly. Is there a program that anyones' school uses that teaches the students to type. We have a computer lab and would put the program on the server so that each student would be able to work on it on their "own" computer. I'm leaning towards something like Mavis Beacon, but would love to hear some suggestions based on what you have used and why it is great (or not so great)! Thanks!

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2010

The school I student taught at used "Type to Learn" for their 5th graders. I'm not sure if it is aimed at older grades too, but those kids loved it. It incorporates answering general knowledge questions and trivia while learning to type.

Our school uses UltraKey. It is very basic, but it has lessons, progress checks, and skill assessments. I find it extremely dry and boring...

4. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Sep 9, 2010

I use Ultrakey but really only for the Timed Tests. I teach keyboarding myself with the students using books from the ISTE site. If new students come the year after we learn keyboarding then I have them go through the Ultrakey lessons to get caught up. Another great resource is the site typingweb.com. You can register for free and it keeps track of your progress as it goes through lessons to teach the keys and reaches. I often recommend this to parents as another resource for their child to use for extra practice.

5. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Sep 9, 2010

Thank you for the input! Any other suggestions?