Teaching Twos!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by missbianca, Sep 5, 2010.

1. missbianca

missbianca Rookie

Sep 5, 2010

I need some help. I am teaching a whole class of twos. How would you handle learning centers with them? Any pointers would be helpful.

3. grover1

grover1 Rookie

Sep 7, 2010

I am teaching two also. I am having the same issue. I have been guiding them to areas for now but I am looking for a better way to do it. I will soon have a mixed class. I am taking the older ones in my class at the end of the week. Our infant room is growing and the twos is small. I only have five in their now. So I am rethinking my whole planning.

4. missbianca

missbianca Rookie

Sep 10, 2010

This was my first week. What I did was highlight three different learning centers each day. We ALL went to them together, went over how we play at each one, and then had a time of playing together. I took pictures of the kids this week and plan on laminating them and place them on clothes pins. After we have went to ever center we will start to divide up. I was going to put their clothes pins on center signs then they would have to find out where they needed to go until the timer went off then I would rotate them. Not sure if this is going to work yet. Has anyone else taught twos and knows some pointers about centers?

5. new2twos

new2twos Rookie

Sep 14, 2010

I'm in the same boat. I have 9 two yr olds and 2 one yr olds in my 2 yr old class. Some have just turned 2 and some will turn 3 in Nov. We just started last week. I still have 3-4 criers in the class. We are just doing free play in center time. I'm slowly getting on schedule.

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 14, 2010

I develop centers for 2's the same as I do for any age group. The only difference is what I put in the center.

I have never contained the 2's, and allow them to visit any center any time. If they can reach it, they can play with it.

Keep your centers simple. (They are also easier to clean up if not too much stuff is in them.)
    Housekeeping--make sure you have some hats and some items with handles (like lunch pails, baskets)

Sensory--Put groups of items in the sensory table. Water can be a once in a while treat.

Block area--use soft blocks, add a few cars.

Floor toys--two trucks or a train set

Books--add some soft seating--I love it when I can put a crib mattrass on the floor and cover it.

Your centers might be defined differently--I had a science area that included boxes of "things". The kids could explore boxes of hard things, soft things, or all red things. This science center also became a math center as they sorted items.

Just keep them busy. Bring in a big grocery sacks one day. See what happens. You don't have to plan an activity, the activity will evolve.