Teaching Tolerance Book Ideas

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Miz_Sanders, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Miz_Sanders

Miz_Sanders Rookie

Feb 18, 2006

I am a Full Intern in the 2nd grade. My coordinator is coming to evaluate me Feb 24th. I am doing my unit over teaching tolerance, since our Knight's Character Trait for this month is Tolerance. I have a few good ideas but I am really needing help coming up with good books to either read to the students or have them read alone. I have Picky Mrs. Pickle, How Zebra's Got Their Stripes, and The Crayon Box That Talked. Any other ideas on books, or any tolerance lessons you have taught would be GREATLY appreciated!!!! Thanks! :D

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 18, 2006

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2006

Odd Velvet

Angel child, Dragon child

The New Kid at School

5. Miz_Sanders

Miz_Sanders Rookie

Feb 18, 2006

Thanks for the ideas you guys! :) I appreciate it!

6. Tambra44

Tambra44 Rookie

Feb 19, 2006

I taught a series of lessons about diversity (mental and physical exceptionalities) there are so many books out there here are a few I used to get my students to understand what it feels like to have a disability:
    Shelly the Hyperactive turtle- then the students had to do activities like jumping up and down while trying to string beads
    A very Special Critter-They got to try out wheelchairs
    Wemberly Worried
    What's Wrong With Timmy (Does say something about God in it so you may need to do some editing depending on your school)

I have a list of others but I need to do some searching in my files for it. I don't know if this is even what you are looking for. Sometimes we focus on other kinds of tolerance and forget to discuss individuals with disabilities. Just a thought. I hope this helped! Good Luck!

7. Miz_Sanders

Miz_Sanders Rookie

Feb 19, 2006

Yes!!!! Those are great!!!! I am totally wanting all kinds of tolerance not just over ethnicity! That sounds like a really great idea with the beads. Thank you sooooooo much for your reply!:thanks:

8. Tambra44

Tambra44 Rookie

Feb 19, 2006

Oh I just thought of some more....
    I had a teacher come into class and ask us to write down on a piece of paper what color we were. Most of us wrote black or white. Then she passed out a painter's pallet (with the dips in it). Each section was filled with a different shade of powder (foundation/makeup) Then we had to try to use the powder to match our skin tone. Then we had a discussion about the labels black and white and how we are all different shades of the same colors etc. (May be a little advanced for your students though)

More books:
    "Howie Helps Himself" Joan Fassier
    "My Brother Sammy" Beck Edwards
    "Andy and His Yellow Frisbee" Mary Thompson
    "Rolling along- The story of Taylor and His Wheelchair" Jamee Riggio Heelan
    "Dad and Me in the Morning" Patricia Lakin

Another activity you could do is to print out a simple maze. Have one student hold a mirror and the other look into the mirror and trace the maze (I think you can put it in a shoebox or something so they can't cheat... don't remember exactly) Or you could print out a paragraph with words and letters backwards to immitate dyslexia.

Glad I could help!