"Teaching to a test" strategies...

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by GTB4GT, Jan 26, 2014.

1. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Jan 26, 2014

I teach a hodgepodge of different math courses at my school (it has varied from 3-4 topics per year in my brief tenure). Currently none of the subjects I teach have an EOC test.

Next year I think things may be different (in a variety of ways) - I will have a tested course, the standards are changing to common core, the tests themselves will look different to the students (moving away from multiple choice to an explanatory response, etc.)

Currently I align my teaching to the standards and pick/choose among the various standards (if I can't get to them all during the year), emphasizing the ones that are most important or critical to their next year in math whether that be in our HS or first year of college.

with that being said, I am not sure if there is anything else I can/should do differently. My tests next year might need to be revamped to "look like" the new standardized testing I'm sure. Are there any other specific strategies that you use or recommend? Does the presence of an EOC alter your methods in anyway? Thanks for any input on this.

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 26, 2014

I taught a course that "lost" its EOC midway through the semester I was teaching it. The only way that it impacted my class was I spent less time on certain standards that I felt weren't as important. I still covered all of the standards, just not equally.