Teaching Time

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by PinkFish, Dec 10, 2008.

1. PinkFish

PinkFish Rookie

Dec 10, 2008

I am a first year teacher and have never taught time before. My kids are having the hardest time telling time to 5 minutes after the minute hand gets past the 6. Does anyone have any ideas to help me. We are having observations next week at my school and I really need some activities related to time to do with my students. I have a class set of clocks and white boards but i need some ideas.

3. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Dec 22, 2008

Ok, I will explain this the best I can...but it may not make a whole lot of sense. First, each kid needs a paper clock and crayons. Make a red (or whatever color) house around the 12. Then color the 12's yard red (the area between the 12 and 1-has to be same color as 12's house). Make a blue house around 1, blue yard up to the 2. Etc. for each number (house) and its yard. Explain that the minute hand goes around the neighborhood, to houses and through yards. Yards belong to houses. As it goes through say the 12's yard, it is getting closer to the 1's house. When the minute hand is in the blue yard, it is owned by the blue house (the 1), so the hour is still 1. I have the kids use a straightedge and lay it on the minute hand to extend it to see whose yard it's in. This has helped tremendously and the kids actually (!!) like telling time. I even painted my school clock! Good luck, hope this makes some kind of sense!!! If not, PM me.

i.heart.trees likes this.
  4. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Dec 28, 2008

Do you mean telling the hour after the minute hand gets past the 6 because the hour hand is between two numbers? Or do you mean, in general, that they don't understand the minutes past the 30 minute mark?

I bought a clock pocket chart from Scholastic that color coded the clock. It made the clock numbers 1-12 red and all of the hour cards in written in red. It then numbers the minutes around the clock in blue and writes all of the minute cards in blue to match the colors. It really helped my kids see it. I had to stress to them that the numbers on the clock are only used for the hours, and then they have to count by 5's to get the minutes.

If they are having a tough time telling the HOUR because the hour hand moves between the two numbers, I have simply told my kids that when the hour hand is between two numbers, it belongs to the lower number because its on its way to the higher number.

I don't know if any of this will help or not. I hope so! Good luck!

5. 4alicat

4alicat Companion

Jan 4, 2009

Check out timemonsters.com. If you have an interactive whtieboard or a projector in your room you could do this website w/ your kids.

6. Teachingtots

Teachingtots Rookie

Jan 6, 2009

We had a PD on differentiation and we watched a video in which the teacher was teaching time and she had her students construct their own clocks. It looked like a fun activity and the kids loved it. The face of the clock was a tortilla, the clock hands were licorice, and the minutes were M & M's. Once they built the clocks, the teacher had the students show different times on their clocks. Just a fun activity idea... :)