Teaching Through Movies

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by hopefulnovice, Dec 30, 2008.

1. hopefulnovice

hopefulnovice Rookie

Dec 30, 2008

Hello fellow SS teachers,

Have you ever built a lesson plan around a movie? Can you recommend movies for 9th grade Western Civ. and/or 11th/12th Psychology? I love showing clips from here and there, and I know most kids that age are very visual and enjoy and learn a lot from visual examples.
    Are there any websites that list appropreate and topic-specific movies for high-schoolers?

Thank you.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2008

I know that Awakenings had me sobbing and crying.

Part of the problem was that my uncle also lost his long term memory after a stroke when he was in his 40's.

But I bet you could use it, or parts of it, for Pscyh.

Or how about One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest?

Check the ratings on both, I'm not sure.

edited to add: How about Cast Away with Tom Hanks??

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 30, 2008

What about A Beautiful Mind?

5. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Dec 30, 2008

It would depend on your western civ curriculum - I know you are working on Rome next so parts of Spartacus, Ben Hur, Gladiator (careful, that's an R rated one) might be useful. I used to show whole movies, but I've switched to clips.

What is your curriculum?

6. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Dec 31, 2008

If you go to the teachers section of my site (mrroughton.com) I have a "media" guide for each unit that includes pop culture movies. I teach 7th grade world civ but there's plenty there on the west.

You can also try amazon and their user lists. I've found some good movies that way.

7. madeinjapan

madeinjapan New Member

Dec 31, 2008

Wow, your website is awesome. I can tell that you are a great teacher. I hope you don't mind that I bookmarked your site for future reference as I'm just starting my education in becoming a teacher. I haven't been able to decide what I want to teach, but I love history and I'm leaning in that direction. Thanks for your very informative and creative website!

Lisa

8. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Jan 2, 2009

You're Mr. Roughton? Wow - I never put two and two together! I just got a couple ideas off your site the other day, namely the dot sketch activity and the History IM's. How have those worked for you in the past?

9. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jan 3, 2009

The sketch activity (I think you mean Creative Line Art) ranges from incredible to "wow kid, what are you doing?" The ones that use all the objects on the page to make one, unified image come out great.

The History IMs are usually wonderful. It helps to have two good historical figures to work with but even when I've just used it as a summary tool it has been effective. Of the 45 assignments now on the site, I'd say it is one of the top 5 in terms of work quality I get back.

10. Charger

Charger Companion

Jan 3, 2009

I teach math and science and would love to include movie clips for my science class.

Rockguykev-Do any of the science teachers at your school have a fabulous curriculum like yours? I love the activities you do and really wish (for the moment anyway) that I taught social studies instead of science.

11. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jan 3, 2009

When you get to Communalism and talk about the aspects of it, a GREAT way to show the aspects of it is to have students watch a movie or clips of a few and then give them a quiz asking them to name the aspects and how the movie(s) demostrated the aspect.

12. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jan 4, 2009

Science, not yet. I'm trying to get some teachers on board to build a science curriculum but so far it is a no go.

At worst my lil brother is 4 years away teaching secondary science so it is coming at some point!