Teaching the Space Program

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ross, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Ross

Ross Comrade

Dec 9, 2008

I get so excited when I talk about the space program in this country. From Robert Goddard to the Mercury astronauts to the moon landings and to unmanned missions to the planets that have given us stunning pictures.

The people involved with these programs serve as heroes and inspirations to me and my family.

I wonder, would this subject serve as a class in the public school system? Would the powers that be see any value in this kind of class? There are classes that students where students carve, mold, cut, and fix. How about a class that inspires the soul?

Or am I just carried away at the moment?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2008

I would take it in a heartbeat!!!

I mentioned this a few minutes ago on another thread: did you by any chance see the HBO special From the Earth to the Moon when it aired a few years ago? It was wonderful!!!!

It was based on Andrew Chaikin's book, A Man on the Moon, which I read the summer before the show aired.

It's possible that some of my enthusiasm comes from growing up in the shadow of Grumman (they build the Lunar Module, along with a lot of other things.) Or because I actually remember "Moon Day."

4. Ross

Ross Comrade

Dec 9, 2008

Watching From the Earth to the Moon is our idea of a good time in this house. Does that fall into the thread "What is the nerdiest thing about you." :lol:

5. Ross

Ross Comrade

Dec 9, 2008

My daughter's favorite episode is "Spider", the segment on Tom Kelly and his team of Grumman engineers. It is also one of my favorites.

There is a whole other great topic, the contribution of Grumman in the aviation and aerospace industry.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2008

I LOVE that episode!!! I also love the Al Bean one, and the one where the astronauts have to learn about rocks so they'll know what samples are worth taking.

The book was also great. It's most definitely summer reading; too heavy to read in the spare minutes you get during the school year.

And our local Cradle of Aviation museum has an entire room devoted to the space program, mostly Grumman's contribution to it. They have a spare LM that never got into space. It's simply amazing to see!!!

7. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 10, 2008

Sounds awesome Ross! I'd love to be in on it too.

I'm sure you could do it if you manipulated your State Standards. I have a little freedom in what I teach, but not much.

I just added the book to my "Wish List" at Amazon.

8. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Dec 10, 2008

It sounds like a great idea to me. If you need resources, go thru NASA's web site, they have great teacher resouces. Our school signed up for a program "signatures in space' and was one of a few chosen. NASA sent us a huge poster that all of the children in the school signed, we sent it back to NASA and they photographed it and it went into space on the last shuttle mission. It will be returned to us with a letter saying that our names went into space. That built ALOT of excitement about the space program at our school. If you can't teach a class, we also had for many years an after school program called "Young Astronauts" that was wonderful and fun. Luckily, we live a couple hours from Kennedy Space Center and the club went to Space Camp every year.

9. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Dec 10, 2008

This may be totally off the mark, but has anyone participated in Student Signatures in Space?

10. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Dec 10, 2008

Yes, that's what I was talking about in the post right before yours. It was very exciting.

11. Ross

Ross Comrade

Dec 10, 2008

That must of been amazing for the students to have their signature onboard the Space Shuttle. Did they get see the Shuttle and International Space Station fly overhead? I would think even the most jaded student would think it cool to watch the Space Shuttle fly overhead at night knowing something of them was onboard.

I check the NASA website every few days to find out when the ISS or Space Shuttle will be flying over our house.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2008

For a while there, my son checked daily for progress on the Mars Rover.

13. Ross

Ross Comrade

Dec 10, 2008

The 2003 Mars Exploration Rover carried a disc with the names of thousands of citizens. My name is on that disc.

I believe the recent launch of the probe to Pluto had a disc with peoples names on them. I sometimes check the NASA site trying to find the next chance to submit all of my family's names.

It would also be fun to have our students submit their names. Maybe on the next vehicle to explore Saturn or Jupiter or another star system in our galaxy.

14. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Dec 11, 2008

It was alot of fun and our administrators made a big deal about it.
    Even though we are on the west coast, we can still see the shuttle launches from our school or home. This past launch was at night which makes it easier to see ( you can often see the flames and smoke and con trail) so we couldn't watch it together as a school, which I thought would be great.