Teaching the same subject over and over again

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by JayR, Jun 30, 2009.

1. JayR

JayR Rookie

Jun 30, 2009

As a newbie I realize I need to start at the bottom of the subject list as far as course assignments go. I am not going to complain (yet) to my chairman, but I am getting a little bored teaching the same subject over and over again.

How many times is too many? What do you do to alleviate the boredom?

(We are talking remedial math here.)

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 30, 2009

I am not sure how to answer this question since I have taught the same courses for years and have never been bored. I usually have three preps - AP Euro, APUSH and World History - and have had as many as 5 preps in my early years. I don't get bored I think because each one of my classes has it's own unique personality which means they respond differently to information, process informaion differently and think differently which requires mean to teach the same material in many different ways. So while I am teaching the same material to three classes, the way I teach the material is never the same due to the make-up of my class. Also, think about your interaction with your students - are you interacting with them through a learning process or are you simply instructing? Big difference IMO

Just my :2cents: for what it is worth - I wouldn't complain to your chair about your class load. If classes are assigned based on seniority, complaining probably won't do much execpt tick off your dept chair which you never ever want to do :) Maybe throughout the year you can hint at how your favorite math classes in college were geometry related courses, or how you were doing research and found this real interesting new way to teach proofs, attend seminars in different areas of math, ask the Trig teacher if you can observe his/her teaching methods as you would really enjoy teaching trig - this will get your chair's attention more than complaining

4. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2009

At my school the squeaky-wheel gets the grease, especially if they have proven themselves in the less-desirable classes. You don't have to squeak much but if you never ask, how will anyone know?

Some teachers, believe it or not, won't touch higher levels classes out of fear.

Now all that said, I'm going on to year 7 of world history and I can't wait. I love my subject.

5. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Jun 30, 2009

I admit, I cannot associate with your problem. I have yet to ever get to teach the same thing two years in a row. For me, it would be a blessing, since I wouldn't have to start over every year. But, I can see how it could get dull after a few years. Make sure your Principal or whoever knows that you would be happy for the opportunity to stretch your wings, so to speak.

6. iluvteachin

iluvteachin Rookie

Jun 30, 2009

I teach the same subjects (Math, history, and english) every year but I teach different levels and students. I love it... but there was a year where my boss didn't give me an English class. I went up to him towards the end of that year and said "I would really like to have English again because it was a challenge for me and I enjoyed it and would like to continue challenging myself." I haven't gone a year without English since then.

7. jessi.lewis

jessi.lewis Rookie

Jul 2, 2009

AMEN!!

8. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 2, 2009

This will be my 4th year in 8th grade language arts. I have a reading class, a state exam prep class and four core classes. I'm not bored yet. The make up of the core classes are different so my approach differs slightly and sometimes the pacing differs as necessary so I am doing slightly different things each day. But, maybe if I had only one level of student, I might get bored.

9. edu

edu Rookie

Jul 3, 2009

It depends on why you wanted to be a teacher. It's not only about the subject but also about if you are teaching better as compared to the previous year. The more you teach and love kids you would acquire more and better skils every year. You will be bored only if your 100% 0f students gain the knowledge by 100% every year at least for 3 years. I think it's virtually 100% impossible.

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 3, 2009

I've taught the same (English III) for 14 years, and I'm still not bored with it. I never teach it the same way twice, and I'm always looking for new ways to present the materials (either through new reading strategies or writing activities). I guess I focus on the delivery more than the content to keep myself from getting bored with it.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2009

Teaching remedial math can drain on you after a while, particularly if it's all you teach.

As much as I love the slower kids-- sometimes they're more "real" than the honors kids,-- they can be exhausting. Classroom management tends to be more of an issue. You have more parent conferences at progress report and report card time, because your grades are lower. The work ethic isn't always there.

And the material can be mind-numbing. All the fun stuff is dropped to enable more time on those important-but-unexciting basics.

In fact, teaching only one prep all day long can get incredibly boring. By the time you teach that lesson the 5th time in a day, it can be hard to give it the same enthusiasm you gave it first period.

Why not see if you can pick up another prep in addition to your remedial classes. Don't ask to drop the remedial class, only to add to it. This year, my friend and I each had 3 honors classes, with one below-average class. (Our school is college prep, so even our slowest kids aren't "remedial.") But it was great to break up my time with those slower kids.

And teaching a variety of courses/levels can only make you a better teacher. You'll have to come up with alternate explanations and examples to challenge kids of differing abilities. Maybe that's how you could approach it.

12. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2009

My first year I taught 9th grade all day every day, both semesters. I hated it. People though I was lucky to only have one prep, but I got so bored by the end of the day, and I couldn't remember if I had said something in that class or the earlier class... So I just asked the chair to please throw in some 11th grade the following year - much better. It doesn't hurt to ask - asking isn't complaining.

13. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Jul 8, 2009

In the two years that I've taught, I have taught Algebra and remedial math. Last year I had all Algebra, but thankfully the students were at different levels. My first and last class were on-track students and my afternoon class was a double period and repeater class. I liked it that way even though it was the same material. This year, I taught 4 Algebra classes and a remedial class. By the 3rd time I taught Algebra I was exhausted and bored from it. Thankfully for September I will be throwing some Geometry in the mix. I do agree that you should ask. It never hurts to ask - I did and it all worked out for the best.

14. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 8, 2009

I don't teach the same thing all day.I have 4 different preps, which is a bit much. But, I can see how you could get bored. I think others have said it well when they mentioned that maybe you should ask for an additional class/prep. It would break it up a bit for you.

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2009

I'll be teaching SS all day. I'm actually looking forward to it!