Teaching the same prep 4 times

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacherguy111, Feb 6, 2015.

1. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Feb 6, 2015

Just found out I am teaching the same class 4 times starting next week. I am really excited because this will be the first time that I have only had to prep for one class.

How many preps do you guys have? Does it get boring doing the same class that many times?

3. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Feb 6, 2015

Wow that sounds great! How do you only teach 4 classes a day? How many periods are in your school day?

I teach 3 preps, and it's my first year teaching at this school, so it can be hard. Most teachers at my school have 3-5 preps. Last year I taught for a semester and had 4 classes of the same. They were all in a row, all morning. In the afternoon, I had one section of creative writing, which was a fun class to teach.

4. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Feb 6, 2015

We have 4 periods a day at my school. They are 1 hour and 15 minutes long. We also have an Advisory class.. this is like homeroom but on steroids. They get a grade for it and you have to do in class service hours, service learning projects, summer reading. We also do 'design challenges' during this time. We have this schedule because classes are only 1 semester long. We use the mastery system, meaning that students typically have to get a 90% or more to master or pass a class. This is training for the high school where students can finish high school coursework in 2 years and then go on to university early and get 2 years for free.

I am pumped because this cuts my planning in half pretty much.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 6, 2015

This year I have two preps; I usually have three but have had as many as five.

I teach two sections of one class and four sections of another.

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 6, 2015

My first year I taught only one prep. This was good because it was my first year, and I was a little stressed when they gave me another prep last year. But I ended up making that class into something that I really enjoyed, so I don't mind it anymore. I guess I'd be okay either way.

I probably would not like having more than 2 preps.

7. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 6, 2015

I have had up to eighth preps at a time, it was ridiculous. But I found a way.

This year I'm back to one baby! It's awesome. I do the same thing- one prep, four times a day.

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 6, 2015

We have seven periods. I have four preps but one class repeats three times. I hate it. Twice is perfect. By the third time I'm just kind of over it. Most of my preps are just one class. I had four of the same in student teaching and I really disliked that. I also felt like it honestly took more planning. I had to have a detailed list of everything I wanted to say so each class got the same information. Otherwise I couldn't remember if I'd already told them something! With only one class I know what I'm telling them and I don't have to worry about repeating it :)

It can be a little stressful, but I try to do enough of the same things to help out. For example, both of my senior groups read the same novel during the year. It's different courses and I change some things but it helps :)

9. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Feb 6, 2015

This year I have three preps; in past years I've had five. Five was way too many, but I think I would get bored teaching the same thing five times, so I think 2-3 is perfect for me. In a perfect world, I think I'd like to have two preps -- enough to have a change of pace but not too much that it's overwhelming.

10. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Feb 6, 2015

We have 8 periods per day and I have 2 preps. It's nice to focus on two classes, but I teach the same class 5 times per day. It is exhausting.

11. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 6, 2015

We have 6 periods, and I have 3 preps, which is usual for most teachers, although one teacher has 4-5 preps.
    I teach ELD/CAHSEE English, it's an elective, and I just folow the textbook / workbook, all the things in the teacher guide. So it's really not hard.
    I teach 4 preps of English 3, and most of my focus is there. I also teach a World Cultures class, which means I'm creating every single thing we do (reading, activities, what to watch, etc) and I bring in food a couple of times / month (right now we're learning about Hungary, which is easy, because it's my country, but it still takes up a lot of my time to prep everything). this class does take up considerable time, especially that it's only 1 class (if i taught it twice, it would feel more justified).

I don't find it boring to teach the same thing 4 times, I've been doing that for almost 3 years. I find that in the first period I can gauge how far we will get with everything (sometimes I underestimate the activities), and then each class is easier and easier.

12. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Feb 6, 2015

I teach the same class six times in one day. It's only boring if you start to think of it that way. The material covered at be the same, but the way I approach it with each class is different because of the unique personalities in each section.

13. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Feb 7, 2015

My school has 8 period days- about 40 minutes a period. I teach 8 classes- 2 classes per grade over 4 grade levels. Every cycle day is different, so sometimes I only have 2 preps and sometimes I have 5 preps. Keeps me on my toes lol

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 7, 2015

My first year I had four preps between two schools. That was a nightmare.

A few times I've had the same class three times, for 100 minutes each. Loved that.

Currently I have three preps for five classes. Math (for which I have no certification), reading, and three core English. However, the core classes are at such different levels that it seems like different preps.

15. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Feb 7, 2015

Wow I can't really imagine having over two… at least with the length periods that I have at my school. I would find that extremely overwhelming. Two is definitely do-able but I am really looking forward to only having one.

16. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 7, 2015

Around here, preps are the periods you get to prepare for lessons. They are periods without student (hopefully).

17. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Feb 7, 2015

I am assuming you all teach middle or high school. Just for some perspective, this is what I have to prep for each day in elementary school.
    1 whole group ELA lesson
    1 whole group writing lesson
    4 guided reading group lessons (I have 4 groups, I meet with 2-3 groups a day, seeing each group at least 3 times during the week)
    1 small group ELA lesson for my teaching assistant to teach
    1 whole group math lesson
    4 small group math lessons (I see each group 1-2 times per week)
    1 small group math lesson for my teaching assistant to teach
    2-3 independent activities for students to work on while small groups are meeting
    3-5 word work lessons per week
    1 science or social studies lesson

I know that the content covered in the higher grades is much different that elementary, but I can't imagine saying that having to prep for more that 4 classes is tough. I am tired just typing what I have to prep for in a day....:dizzy:

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 7, 2015

There's been discussion here before on the term 'preps'. For some it means a 'free' period when students are at a special and teachers have time to breathe, grab a cup of coffee, catch up on email and prepare for upcoming lessons. For others it means a class for which one has to prepare...

19. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Feb 7, 2015

I teach American Gov't four times a day and an elective for one period.

While teaching the same material all day long can be tedious and boring; if the kids are well-behaved, I don't mind as much. I can put up with a lot if the kids are tolerable.

20. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Feb 10, 2015

Yeah didn't mean to confuse everyone with the terms. By preps I meant the number of classes that you have to have a separate lesson for.

So I have Medieval to Early Modern World History for 4 periods now.

21. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2015

I would love to be a student in that class, teacherguy!!

22. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 10, 2015

I have 4 preps for 7 classes.
    3 - English III
    2 - College Credit Sr English
    1 - Sr English
    1 - College Credit Psychology

23. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Feb 10, 2015

You can come along if you want to. Just look small and 7th gradelike so I don't get in trouble.

24. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Feb 10, 2015

I'm curious to hear more about what this means -- can you explain what you're doing?

25. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 10, 2015

One or two preps sounds just heavenly.

26. smalltowngal

Feb 11, 2015

Most 7th graders tower over me so that's not a problem. I've been known to pass for a middle school student before.

27. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Feb 11, 2015

I was going to put something like this. I am by no means saying teaching anything is easy but I think being an elementary teacher is just as demanding or more so when it comes to the prep part. Just an opinion don't shoot me.

28. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 11, 2015

I think it all just depends. For one class this week I had to read 70 pages of a complex novel, noting significant quotes and thinking of possible discussion questions. I then had to create a quiz and journal prompt for that reading. It took me more than one prep period to do that. And that was just one day of one class for one week. I have three other preps with kids reading other complex novels and plays.

Some days it's easy planning for a prep. For example, my sophomores are working on a project right now. For day one, I had to create a sample presentation, handouts explaining the project, rubrics, etc... but for days 2, 3, and 4, they're working on the project so there's not much planning I have to do except anticipating problems and questions.

We have a teacher in my department who's taught 2nd, 8th, 9th, 11th, and 12th grades. She says the time it takes her to complete things is longer for high school, but none of the grades was overall more difficult than another. Grading obviously takes longer. I'm grading seven page research papers right now. I spend about 20-30 minutes at minimum looking at one paper, and I usually try to read them at least twice.

I think elementary is harder from the standpoint of having to be "on" all day. While my sophomores are working, I can get some light work done. My elementary counterparts (especially k-2) don't have that option.

It's funny my elementary friends and I always joke that we couldn't do each others' jobs, but we really do mean it! I'm not cut out for elementary, and they're not cut out for high school. That's why I like being able to specialize :)

29. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2015

I think that elementary teaching and secondary teaching are just two sides to the same coin. Yes, elementary teachers prep for all/most subjects and for small groups within those subjects. Elementary teachers also have far fewer students. High school teachers usually prep for only a few subjects, but there are always multiple levels within those subjects. They also usually have many more students, which means a lot more grading and whatnot.

I think that it all comes down to a teacher's preferences and skills rather than about who works harder.

30. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 11, 2015

I have 25 math students to grade for, 25 readers, 25 writers, 25 Social Studies students, 25 mathematicians, 25 scientists and 25 health students. They all require separate grading. The fact that they are all the same 25 kids doesn't reduce the grading at all.

31. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2015

As a high school teacher, I have a lot more than 175 students. Besides that, there are different types of assignments at the secondary level that require more time grading. I don't know many elementary teachers who grade 250 15-page papers multiple times per year, but nearly all the secondary English teachers I know do that.

I'm not of the opinion that elementary teachers work less than I do as a high school teacher; I just think that the work is spread out differently. I would hope that elementary teachers feel similarly about their high school counterparts, but I suppose everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

32. txmomteacher2

Feb 11, 2015

I am not saying that any teacher works less than any other teacher. We all work hard!!!!! Another poster said that elementary teachers are "on" all day long and that is soooo true. From 7:45 until 4:30 I am in teacher mode. Don't slow down for one minute. No wonder I went to bed at 8:30 last night. lol

33. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Feb 11, 2015

I want to hear about this also! How does this work?

34. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Feb 11, 2015

It's just a trade off with what is more work for elementary vs older kids.

35. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Feb 11, 2015

It's a deal then, you are now one of my students lol.

36. txmomteacher2

Feb 11, 2015

This!!!!

37. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Feb 11, 2015

I taught third grade and it was a lot of work too. I now teach middle school and it is also a lot of work...

38. smalltowngal

Feb 11, 2015

See you in class, Mr. teacherguy!!

39. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Feb 11, 2015

Might take you a while to understand my english accent lol

40. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 11, 2015

I never said that high school teachers don't work hard. I was merely correcting your misconception that "Elementary teachers also have far fewer students... which means a lot more grading and whatnot. " There's huge amounts of grading in elementary too, and at least in my district, the number of students at any one time is essentially equal once factoring for multiple subjects (though high school teachers swap groups every semester, so in a year, high school teachers end up at about double).

41. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Feb 11, 2015

I did not mean to start any kind of argument or debate on who has a harder job.
    I only wanted to point out that as an elementary teacher I have a lot to prep for each day.