Teaching the same kids two years in a row?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Mathemagician, May 16, 2013.

1. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

May 16, 2013

Hi,
    I have a little over a month left this year, and I would definitely say I had a strong first year. Definitely not perfect, but my final evals and everything have been great, and I've been enjoying it.

This year I taught HS geo and alg 2. I haven't heard for sure yet, but I think I'll be teaching the same again next year. One thing I'm worried about is that I've definitely become more laxed towards the end of this year. In the beginning of the year, I was a stickler about texting, being tardy to class (i.e. like 30 seconds or so late), talking, etc. My classes are still well under control, and the students are 90%+ good kids so it isn't a problem, but I've been letting more things slide this past month being that it is the end of the year.

I'm just worried as I will definitely have some of my geo kids again next year for alg 2, and I certainly will want to start off the year strong again. Obviously the classes will be different, but some students will be the same. I can start off of course with "new year, new start, etc.", and I do have some new policies in mind, but I'm just a little worried that some kids may be a bit rebellious if I go to being strict at the beginning of next year since I've become relaxed now. Maybe I'm worried for nothing, but has anyone experienced this? Having the same kids (secondary level) two years in a row after becoming a bit lenient towards the end of the first year? Any suggestions?

3. Math

Math Cohort

May 16, 2013

Maybe you could tell them they are older now. So they will be held to the same standards as of the beginning of the year last year. Or something like that.

4. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

May 16, 2013

I had many of my kids as juniors last year, and seniors this year. I think the kids always start the new year with a new frame of mind, and I'm not sure how many will even notice, unless you're doing a total 180.

5. kme93

kme93 Companion

May 16, 2013

I teach Geo and Alg2 and last year was my first year too.

I had a pretty strong year, but I started to let things slide at the end of the year as well. I didn't have any problems "resetting" at the beginning of the year. I gotten pretty slack this week (last week of school), but I just don't care about talking, headphones, etc. anymore. I know I'm going to get most of the behavior problems next year, so I'm going to have to SERIOUSLY crackdown at the beginning of the year.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 17, 2013

I see all of my students two years in a row (as juniors, then seniors).

It's not a problem to start fresh with higher expectations. The students go with it.

7. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 17, 2013

They have been several times I had the same kids two years in a row. I love it. They already know you, they already know your expectations, and the rapport is already there.

8. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

May 18, 2013

I always teach my AVID kids for two years and I absolutely love it. I too tend to relax at the end of the year but the new year they know what's up.

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 18, 2013

I'm going to have a lot of the kids again next year (the others will go back to their regular school). I don't think you're going to have a problem resetting, they'll have the summer as a break, and it's a new year after that. Most kids tend to relax at the end of the year, behavior problems start up, but it's because it's the end of the year.
    If you had a rough year, you probably remember it that way more than the kids. Sure, they might say 'why are you so strict now?", etc, but you don't even have to explain yourself. It's your classroom, your job to teach them, and it's up to you what type of procedures and expectations you have in place. You don't answer to the kids, they answer to you :)

10. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

May 22, 2013

I teach Grade 7, 8 and 9 math and Grade 10 Phys Ed, so I'll see all of my students again next year.

The way I see it is this: no cell phones was a rule for them this year. So, next year, it will be a rule again. That's really what they'll remember. Just make sure you're firm and consistent with it and you'll be fine.

11. TeachWithFergy

TeachWithFergy Rookie

May 28, 2013

I've taught kids over multiple years and don't worry about it. If you start off strict right away they will fall into line along with the rest of your kids. If they don't and want to try to be the big man who had you the previous year, make a small example of them by sending them out of class, detention, etc. Once the other kids see the veteran being disciplined, they will fall in line.

Fergy