Teaching: The Passion and the Profession

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Genmai, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Genmai

Genmai Companion

Jul 19, 2010

3. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2010

Very interesting.

I've never really thought about Teach For America one way or the other. I can see both sides of the argument, though.

4. Genmai

Genmai Companion

Jul 20, 2010

Teach for America (TFA) is a significant growing force in urban education, and there are many opinions about their role within the teaching profession. Read through the article - there's a broad range of opinions - and add your thoughts on the New York Times site if you like. It is quite a lively discussion:

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebat...improve-the-teaching-profession?ref=education

:thanks:

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2010

Oh no, I do know about Teach For America - they ran ads in my college paper at least once a week. I did read the discussion topics. I'd just never given any thought as to how it impacted education, good or bad.

I guess I just don't have enough information to form an opinion one way or the other - do I think it's a good thing to get teachers into communities where they might not otherwise go? Absolutely. Do I think they have enough training to go into the workforce? Not really - a crash course isn't really going to prepare you to help students from the most challenging backgrounds.

And, like I said, I see both sides of the argument from rural districts - it's absolutely wonderful that people go into these communities and try to make a difference in the classroom. But it does suck for the community when those people pick up and leave after three years for bigger and better things.

Speaking of which - wasn't Michelle Rhee involved in TFA?