Teaching the day before a breaks

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Nov 4, 2019

What do you generally teach the day before a break?

Personally, I like to keep the day as normal as possible to help with behavior. Since I teach math, I also have a ton of content to cover so there isn't a lot of time to waste days.

I was thinking of teaching a normal lesson on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving break...thoughts? I definitely wouldn't want them to forget it on Monday but my pacing guide is strict.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Nov 4, 2019

It depends on the type of break. I don't teach anything of substance the day before Thanksgiving break, winter break, or spring break. But that's mostly because I'm not in the mood any more than they are. I typically have plans to teach a normal lesson, but I let them go when it's clear that we all just want to be on break already.

4. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Nov 4, 2019

I don’t usually teach normal lessons on that day. We could have 25%+ kids gone for deer hunting, so it’s not really worth it.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Nov 4, 2019

It honestly depends on the kids. When I was a newer teacher I did game days or fun lessons on those days and honestly found it was worse than teaching regular stuff. A lot of kids really thrive on that structure. Last year I taught regular days before break, but made the content easier/review type stuff. But it was the regular structure of our lessons and not games/crafts/"fun" activities etc. This year *major knock on wood here* I don't have a ton of severe behaviors and may try to do some "fun" but still academic activities the day before holidays.

bella84 likes this.
  6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Nov 4, 2019

This is similar to what I do. I keep our regular schedule (as much as is possible - sometimes there are whole-school activities to plan around), but I don't plan to teach any new or challenging content.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2019

I stick to the schedule as much as i can, but also don't teach anything new. In math, we may do some spiral review, rich problems, or an escape room that reviews concepts.

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 5, 2019

I have high school, so it's a little different. We will be doing presentations in my speech classes. Film studies will be watching a movie, but that's not super unusual, anyway.

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 5, 2019

10. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Nov 5, 2019

I keep the regular schedule, but only do review work -- no new material. There are just too many kids absent or checked-out early that day, and I'd just have to repeat all the new material when they get back anyway.

11. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 5, 2019

I honestly try to keep to a regular day--my current school loves its Halloween and Christmas festivities, and while they are fun they are a bit much to me. Certainly rely on review and a few themed activities, but I do find it best to try to stick to normalcy.

Then again, last year, day before Thanksgiving break... I realized the class didn't care and neither did I, so we made turkeys crafts.

12. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Nov 5, 2019

Typically, I do plan a party day with some fun activities.
    With that said, I do some math before our regular circle time "block". It is quick worksheet to preview the next lesson. It does depend on the break, of course.

13. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Nov 7, 2019

I find teaching on days like this is certainly trying, especially when you have to fight against a tone set by other teachers in the building that is it a nonsense day. That said, I would say establishing a consistent tone that it will be business as usual on days like this in my classroom helps combat the tone set by others.

This does make me recall the time a principal did an observation on me the day before Spring Break that was also Senior Skip Day. I think it was safe to say I was being targeted, especially considering no one else was being observed that day.

14. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Nov 8, 2019

I remember reading a study done by the US Army (probably trains more adults that any other institution) where recruits retained information better when it was presented at the very beginning or very end of the learning period. This lead me to always teach something important on those days before breaks. I personally think teachers should keep things as normal as possible and expect kids to learn.

15. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

Nov 8, 2019

I almost always schedule a test for days before breaks. This removes the stress of how to keep kids engaged or focused. Has worked perfectly for nearly a decade now.

16. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Nov 8, 2019

I used to do this until I had a curriculum! So my test falls whenever it falls!

I think I am going to have the kids work on test corrections the day before break and have challenges for kids who are finished. :)

17. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 9, 2019

I try not to break routine, but did a lot of review. I usually had something each holiday for them to learn about that holiday and do a special activity with it. ( Like Veterans Day) It could be as simple as a game, worksheet- reading comp, and video clip, but the kids usually liked the small change and learned something new..
    I used to love parties at the END of the day, but our district has made it almost impossible to do the last few years. A friend and I are already scheming about how we could sneak in a Christmas party at the end of the day for her class
    . A party for us is just Christmas snacks, making some craft, and playing a simple organized game. I do not like chaotic parties. Oh, and when we do them, I feed the kids the sugar 30 minutes before the bus will take them away! :)