teaching text features to below level students

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by WaterfallLady, Nov 6, 2014.

1. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Nov 6, 2014

I'm an inclusion teacher this year for the first time in my 8 year special education career, so I am teaching kids close to grade level. They are in 3rd grade.

The textbook is way too hard for my lowest group. There are some below-level trade books, but even they are too hard. This is my group reading on the first grade level.

Does anyone have a book to suggest for non-fiction text features at first grade level? I'm not having success.

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Nov 6, 2014

I bought this book a few years ago when I taught 3rd grade: Karl and Carolina Uncover the Parts of a Book (In the Library) (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1404861076/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I haven't looked at it in awhile, so I can't remember what level the text is written on. However, I do remember thinking that it would, at minimum, make a good read aloud for introducing and discussing non-fiction text features. So, even if your students can't read it independently, it might be something you could pull in to read aloud to them and engage them in a discussion about non-fiction text features.

After introducing non-fiction text features, you could really find any nonfiction book that has the features you are focusing on and make the discussion about how the text features improve their comprehension of the book. Just make sure the books you select are at their level. Do you have a book room or access to a Reading A-Z membership? I often find a lot of leveled books on Reading A-Z and use those in my guided reading groups when teaching nonfiction text features.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 6, 2014

I'd personally just go to the school library and pick up a few different non-fiction books written at the first grade level.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 6, 2014

From my experience though, using books that are slightly too hard for kiddos actually works well for text features. They have to actually use the features to understand the book then.