Teaching Ten Frames - Lesson help

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Crys68, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Crys68

Crys68 Rookie

Oct 6, 2007

Hi teachers...I am in need of a good lesson plan teaching 1st graders to use ten frames. I have to share a "good" one with my fellow first grade teachers and wondered if any of you creative folks have a good lesson they could share to help me with this concept.

Thanks so much,
    Chris

3. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Oct 6, 2007

I have taught my students to use tens frames by using the overhead projector. I just made tens frames on regular copy paper and copied them onto a transparency. You could do this and show the kids how they work through several examples and then have a few students come to the overhead and try it. I also have individual tens frames on construction paper. You could do these and pass them out to the students to use with counters.

4. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Oct 6, 2007

I have gathered one egg carton for each student. I cut each of them down to a ten frame. They would drop a penny in each slot and when it was full would empty it into a cup and get a dime. To demonstrate this, I used the overhead. The students started working in partners and the next day they did the activity alone. They really liked using the egg cartons. I actually used this lesson for my Praxis 3 evaluation last year!

I got my lesson plan idea from a website with a unit about teaching money. I cannot find it now! I just traded the paper form for the egg cartons.

I started by reading Monster Math. It is about different ways to make and show 10 cents.

5. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Oct 6, 2007

6. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Oct 6, 2007

I'm not sure if the link it working. It is at illuminations. The name of the unit is Number Cents.

7. snoangel

snoangel Rookie

Oct 6, 2007

It's funny you mention this because we started 10 frames last week. To introduce it I put 10 counters on the overhead and told them they have to figure out how many counters there are. I flash it on and off really fast (so it makes it impossible to tell) Then I go into discussing what could make it easier to figure out how many items are. I show them the 10 frame on the O/H and place the counters on the 10 frame. Then we play a little game of flashing the O/H on and off with different numbers of counters on the 10 frame. They figure out how many is there by using the frame. They love it and it gets them interested in using the 10 frame.

8. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Oct 7, 2007

snoangel... I like your idea! I bet the kids really are engaged! I think I'll try that sometime soon!!!!

9. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 10, 2007

I saw a teacher use the craft square sheets that you pull yarn through to make items like book marks, kleenex holders, etc. for her ten frame to put on the overhead. She then used beans to put in them. Cheap, and easy.

10. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Oct 14, 2007

I made up a bunch of 10 frames and put those colored sticker dot circles from walmart into several of the frames on each of about 12 of the 10 frames. Each has a different amount of dots inside and I use them as flashcards and flash them to the class and they have to quickly add up the dots. Then we go over strategies they used to figure out quickly why they knew there were 6 (one more than 5 were filled) or 8 (there were only 2 squares not filled in). This helps them to 1) learn all the combinations that add to 10 and 2) when we put 2 together they learn to add up 10 plus another number very quickly (1 filled in 10 frame plus one half filled 10 frame adds to 15). Both of these become automatic. They also have blank 10 frames and a tupperware full of red/yellow circle counters on their tables. We use these after I've introduced 10 frames at the overhead.