Teaching team is driving me crazy!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by glitterfish, Aug 28, 2008.

1. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Aug 28, 2008

Sorry, this is kind of long, but I need advice.

I'm at a new school this year and have just met my 2 teaching colleagues at the 4th grade level. They're both wonderful people, seem to be very dedicated and proficient teachers. I feel privileged to be on the same staff as both of them.

Coworker A: random with a capital R, very high energy, works long hours, has so many ideas and is all over the place, super creative and passionate but disorganized

Coworker B: very committed to family, so not at school much; highly organized, very focused, great at setting high expectations and delivering effective lessons

Coworker A wants to do everything together as a team, switch for math and reading, help each other out by doing some group science/social studies/art.

Coworker B seems to want to do her own thing and is very structured about it.

I feel weird entering into the situation. One the one hand, I'm excited about Coworker A, her offer to co-teach, and her passion. On the other hand, she's driving me crazy and overwhelming me because her mind goes a mile a minute and she's really passionate about some areas that I'm not (and yet she wants me to them with her.) Whenever I go to talk to her about anything, she's off on some tangent for an hour and I leave feeling even more confused and nervous about school starting in just a few days! I also feel strange to co-teach with Coworker A and leave Coworker B out of the loop. I wish we could find some balance as a whole all together.

Advice? I know it seems kind of silly, but every night I go home feeling more and more stressed after talking to Coworker A.

3. MissBee

MissBee Companion

Aug 28, 2008

A polite way to decline the team teaching would be to say that you would like to teach all subjects yourself this year so you can familiarize yourself with the curriculum as this is your first year at that school.

4. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 28, 2008

Do it the same way you would a student:

Praise her for all her wonderful ideas--- her wonderful personality, and how she can get you very excited about teaching. I'm sure she'll be a huge help in keeping you going through your first year of teaching.

BUT let her know its alot for you right now. She should know you're really enjoying having her there to help, but right now YOU have to take a step back and learn things at your own pace... which is a tad slower than hers right now.

I'm sure she'll remember what it was like to be a new teacher too and will hopefully agree to take a break with giving you so much to think about.

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 28, 2008

Coworker A sounds a lot like me. Soooo... my advice for dealing with me would be exactly what BioAngel said-praise the ideas! Mostly likely, she knows she has more on her plate than she can handle, hence the disorganization. I'm always thinking of new ideas, but I know I can't pull them off. I do want to verbalize them, though-get them out in the air, try them out in my head, bounce them off someone else, see what they think, etc. Then I will usually just walk away from it and find some other new idea to get crazy about. Perhaps you could even test this theory out or point blank ask her-how soon do you plan on implementing this? Perhaps she wants to do it at some point, but not right now. She may forget how overwhelming a first year is, and not realize that her 'someday' talk is seeming pretty immediate to you. I have to be really careful not to do this with my coworkers. I have way too many ideas.