Teaching supplies

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tiki7719, Jul 1, 2009.

1. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jul 1, 2009

Where do you buy most of your teaching supplies? Is there a place to get better deals then others?

3. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 1, 2009

I always check out sales at Holcomb's, and I check the dollar stores. I know Dollar Tree has lots of teacher supply stuff. Office Max and Staples also have good sales in August for teachers. Scholastic is a good place to buy books.

4. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jul 1, 2009

I will probably begin subbing in September and I want to start to keep some supplies and other things on me.

Any suggestions as to what I should keep?

5. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Jul 1, 2009

I shop at the back to school sales at Walmart, Staples, etc.
    I also shop the internet at discountschoolsupply. Most of my paperback reading books come from scholastic book clubs.

6. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 1, 2009

I had a "sub bag" when I subbed. I kept the basic supplies-pen, paper, notebook(great for jotting down great ideas you see in each classroom),stickers, small bag of hard candy(if permitted), and a couple of game ideas.
    Some of the game ideas I used were- "who am I" cards(even just fun facts to use as a 5 minute filler), a squishy ball for "mum's the word" games, and "jeopardy questions"-again, even fun facts are great to use here!
    I would also suggest a Hidden Puzzle book(found mine at Holcombs) that you can xerox at the school you are subbing at. Kids love these, and if you have any extra time, it comes in handy.Also, if I were subbing again, I would keep a novel-depending on the grade you are subbing in that day-to read. I know many teachers have their own novels going, but when I subbed, I always told the kids that it was "my" room for the day, so we might do a few things different. I always did the lessons left for me, but, I threw in my own ideas when I could!:)

7. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jul 1, 2009

Great ideas knitter! Thanks! (I am going to print the post :) )

What grade do you teach?

8. minimar1

minimar1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2009

I love buying supplies at the Dollar Tree. They are not only pretty inexpensive, but around every three months they issue new things. During summer, you can also get free supplies at Staples (with your teacher's card during the big sales they have in August).

Online, you can find great things at Oriental Trading Company. And usually they have promotions of free shipping with the purchase of a certain amount of money.

And, if you are looking for books don't forget to check Half Price Books Stores if there are any in your area. They have a clearance section of pretty cheap books for children. They also have a section of books for teachers where you can find real treasures.

9. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 1, 2009

I teach 5th grade, but I have taught K, 2nd,3rd, and 4th as well. I subbed for 2 years prior to getting hired in the mid 90's.
    You are from the Cleveland area, right? I am assuming it is Cleveland, Ohio. I teach on the east side of Cleveland in an inner ring suburb.

10. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 1, 2009

tiki7719-
    forgot to tell you-to find novels age appropriate, check out Fountas and Pinnells books. They have a list in them of all leveled books. Of course, to do a read aloud, you really don't need to level. However, reading a book like Hatchet to kindergarteners is not appropriate! :)

11. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 1, 2009

Oh, I LOVE Half Priced Books! Great, great bargains! My friend started her whole classroom library for 40 dollars!!:woot:

12. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2009

I wait for the 5-cent spiral notebook sale at WalMart and buy several cases of those. I also get them at Target (when they are 10 cents each). Same for notebook paper, glue, scissors, etc. Also, Staples has great sales (sign up at their web site for a teacher discount card).

My one caveat: don't buy cheap pencils. They will ruin your sharpener.

13. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jul 1, 2009

Yeah, I'm from Parma. For my subbing, I want to TRY to stay on the west side, but I don't mind venturing over to Garfield, Maple.

14. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jul 1, 2009

good thinking about half-priced books. I'll have to find where one is at near me.

LOL @ reading Hatchet to grade k. I'd probably read "If you give a mouse a cookie"...one of my favorites as a kid :D

15. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 1, 2009

I wait for the big Walmart sale. You can get the 5 cent spirals, 79 cent markers, 10 cent folders, 25 cent paper and 25 cent glue.... I stock up for the year. Around here, the sale usually starts on or around the tax free weekend which is in early August.

16. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jul 1, 2009

Does anyone know of any stores/sites where you can get a teacher discount if you don't yet have a job? I have my credential and I hope to have a job this Fall...but I'd like to start preparing what I can (in general...not grade specific) while I'm not working/in school, however they all want to know your school!