Teaching supplies?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TattyTeach20, Dec 21, 2017.

1. TattyTeach20

TattyTeach20 Rookie

Dec 21, 2017

Hello teachers ;)

I am currently in school, and will be (hopefully) landing a job for the 2019/2020 school year. With this being said, what are some of your go to supplies? Whether this is a planner, pens, binders, a bag, etc. With Christmas coming up, and school becoming intense, and PCE/DT coming up, I would love to get me some stuff to become more, "organized." What places do you like buying professional clothing? This is all new to me and I love being prepared so that I'm not rushing anything at the last minute! Thanks!

3. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Dec 21, 2017

4. JimG

JimG Comrade

Dec 21, 2017

Hard-copy organization: filing tote, hanging folders, and Manila folders to use as subfolders.

Electronic organization: tablet/laptop/smartphone in conjunction with the Adobe Scan app and Google Drive.

5. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Dec 21, 2017

Get a gift card for TeachersPayTeachers.com. They have AMAZING resouces made by real teachers. Some items are free, others you pay for. I like Target, New York & Co for clothing. If you're going to be at the elementary level, you might want to start thinking about a classroom library.

XWordHobbyist likes this.
  6. Janedo5513

Janedo5513 Rookie

7. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Dec 21, 2017

Definitely a nice sized bag and a planner.
    I also have a big binder full of the original copies of worksheets and activities, but something other than a binder would work for that too (that way, you don't have to punch holes in them)
    Also,, paper cutter and laminator :)

8. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Dec 22, 2017

Some cost free stuff to have on-hand:

Although the Internet has made the traditional teacher file old fashioned, I still find it helpful to have some stuff on hand. I don't know if colleges still assign this, but when I was in college, we had to have a file of laminated pictures and ready to use activities. I might suggest, in the modern world, to skip the ready-to-use-and-laminated part, but still collect stuff as you find them. I keep everything in a storage box that fits hanging file folders. Within the hanging file folders, I place manila folders. I now keep my subject headings very, very general: headings for each elementary subject and (from experience) sub-headings for stuff that might be used most often in each subject (which you might begin to get a feel for as you browse through teaching manuals or from your internships). I pull out pictures that might be used and file them, especially pictures of animals or foreign countries, easily pulled up on the Internet, but still, it's nice to have it in the file. Since I might never use that picture, I don't waste time or money on lamination: trimming it for classroom use only takes a minute, and even then, sometimes lamination makes the picture hard to see due to glare. I keep a file of unusual pictures that might come in handy on a bulletin board, too. National Geographic has tons of usable pictures (and is interesting reading); it is easily found at garage sales and discount stores that sell used materials. I print out stuff from the Internet for my file that I might use in the future. The idea is, not to over file stuff, but to have a ready file of stuff that I might not locate as well or as quickly on the Internet.

For classroom organization, I LOVE containers that fit inside my desk drawer. You won't know what kind of a desk you'll have till you get there, but I save boxes that seem like they might fit a standard drawer and have separations in the box or indentations that will hold stuff like scissors, pens, pencils, paper clips, etc. I masking tape the bottoms to the drawer and the box's separations keep my loose stuff from shuffling around every time I open and close the drawer.

Yard sales are a fun way to collect kids books. Often the books are in excellent condition. It helps to smell a few pages and leaf through looking close to the binding for critters that also like books. I'd recommend spending time reading children's literature, too.

Concerning professional clothing, comfort is the most important consideration. You'll be sitting, standing, walking all day, 5 days a week.

A quick final suggestion, one of the best preparations for teaching is physical fitness. You are about to be exposed to every germ on the planet and the more prepared your body is the better. The first year is rough in preparation time, also, and you'll need a body that can withstand the extra work. I'd recommend eating a mostly plant based diet and getting at least 1/2 hour of cardiovascular activity at least 5 days a week. Muscle toning exercises, just simple stuff like calisthenics or yoga, is very helpful in the long run.

For the upcoming tests you'll be taking, take some time each day now to review your notes and textbooks. It helps to do some of the extra suggested reading in the textbooks in your off time, also. Public libraries now have popular books concerning education topics that might also be of interest. Parenting magazines are also an excellent source of information from a parents' perspective, often found in libraries.

9. JimG

JimG Comrade

Dec 22, 2017

Silverware trays are great for this as well, and can be less than a couple bucks a piece.

tiggervalley and Obadiah like this.
  10. XWordHobbyist

XWordHobbyist Rookie

Dec 23, 2017

I second the classroom organization. It's amazing how much a good file folder and pencil case changed my life.